Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dishwasher circuit tripping

We have a dishwasher on a dedicated circuit. It has been running without problems for about 5 years (the approximate age of both the dishwasher and the electrical panel). This morning, when I tried to run the dishwasher, I discovered that the circuit had tripped. I turned it off, and then on, and it immediately tripped again. I turned it off and on again, and this time it stayed on. I started the dishwasher, and it got part-way done ( to the drying cycle, I think), and then the circuit tripped. At this point, I'm going to leave the dishwasher and the circuit panel alone until I figure out what's wrong. I have no idea how to diagnose the problem, though. I can handle the dishwasher repair if I have some idea of how to find the problem. If the problem is electrical, I'll probably call an electrician (I'm kind of scared to work with the electrical panel), but I don't want to call an electrician and then find out the problem is the dishwasher. I could use some advice on how to figure out what's wrong and maybe how to fix it. Thanks for the help!

magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
We have a dishwasher on a dedicated circuit. It has been running without problems for about 5 years (the approximate age of both the dishwasher and the electrical panel). This morning, when I tried to run the dishwasher, I discovered that the circuit had tripped. I turned it off, and then on, and it immediately tripped again. I turned it off and on again, and this time it stayed on. I started the dishwasher, and it got part-way done ( to the drying cycle, I think), and then the circuit tripped. At this point, I'm going to leave the dishwasher and the circuit panel alone until I figure out what's wrong. I have no idea how to diagnose the problem, though. I can handle the dishwasher repair if I have some idea of how to find the problem. If the problem is electrical, I'll probably call an electrician (I'm kind of scared to work with the electrical panel), but I don't want to call an electrician and then find out the problem is the dishwasher. I could use some advice on how to figure out what's wrong and maybe how to fix it. Thanks for the help!

Remove the kickplate from the bottom-front of the diswasher and see if there's a leak down there. Mine tripped the breaker twice before all hell broke loose underneath there. The hose came off the output of the pump and pumped the entire contents of the diswasher underneath my cabinets!

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,004

Sounds like he heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher(Inside open door and look down under the basket round looking piece of wire) ) is shorted out or drawing to many amps. When the machine goes into dry cycle breaker pops try wash cycle without heater on. Just guessing can't see it or test it from here.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try running the dishwasher without the heated drying option...that'll tell for sure if it's the element causing the problem.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice. I'll run it without the heat/dry cycle tomorrow and see how that works. If it is a short in the heating element, how hard is this to fix myself? I'm not super familiar with the insides of a dishwasher, though I did replace the pump last spring and didn't find that too hard. Thanks!
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll run it without the heat/dry cycle tomorrow and see how that works. If it is a short in the heating element, how hard is this to fix myself? I'm not super familiar with the insides of a dishwasher, though I did replace the pump last spring and didn't find that too hard. Thanks!

They're usually not too hard. One "spade" connector on each end of the element, and then a couple of nuts/bolts holding the whole thing in place.

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote