DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dishwasher circuit tripping

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  moondawg 
#1 ·
We have a dishwasher on a dedicated circuit. It has been running without problems for about 5 years (the approximate age of both the dishwasher and the electrical panel). This morning, when I tried to run the dishwasher, I discovered that the circuit had tripped. I turned it off, and then on, and it immediately tripped again. I turned it off and on again, and this time it stayed on. I started the dishwasher, and it got part-way done ( to the drying cycle, I think), and then the circuit tripped. At this point, I'm going to leave the dishwasher and the circuit panel alone until I figure out what's wrong. I have no idea how to diagnose the problem, though. I can handle the dishwasher repair if I have some idea of how to find the problem. If the problem is electrical, I'll probably call an electrician (I'm kind of scared to work with the electrical panel), but I don't want to call an electrician and then find out the problem is the dishwasher. I could use some advice on how to figure out what's wrong and maybe how to fix it. Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Remove the kickplate from the bottom-front of the diswasher and see if there's a leak down there. Mine tripped the breaker twice before all hell broke loose underneath there. The hose came off the output of the pump and pumped the entire contents of the diswasher underneath my cabinets!

#3 ·
Sounds like he heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher(Inside open door and look down under the basket round looking piece of wire) ) is shorted out or drawing to many amps. When the machine goes into dry cycle breaker pops try wash cycle without heater on. Just guessing can't see it or test it from here.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll run it without the heat/dry cycle tomorrow and see how that works. If it is a short in the heating element, how hard is this to fix myself? I'm not super familiar with the insides of a dishwasher, though I did replace the pump last spring and didn't find that too hard. Thanks!

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll run it without the heat/dry cycle tomorrow and see how that works. If it is a short in the heating element, how hard is this to fix myself? I'm not super familiar with the insides of a dishwasher, though I did replace the pump last spring and didn't find that too hard. Thanks!

They're usually not too hard. One "spade" connector on each end of the element, and then a couple of nuts/bolts holding the whole thing in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.