Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Share |
Question

disconnecting one phone line and connecting to another number

I have two telephone lines in my house. I want to cancel one number but I want to connect the outlet to my other home number. I am being told it will cost me upto $300. I thought it was just a case of finding where they split the wires and conecting the pairs together?

Last edited by bob2glf; 06-13-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: bad grammer
bob2glf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

You typically just need to move two wires over in the NID. Look for a gray box where the phoneline enters the house.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Should be Red & Green for one line and Yellow & Black for the other. If all of the jacks in the house were wired for both lines, you just need to go to Radioshack & get a line 1 & line 2 splitter that allows you to plug into either telephone line. If they were not done that way, in order to make the change inside the NID, you would have to move the wire from the test jack for the line 1 in your house, and connect to the screws for the line 2 inside the house. Then no matter what jack you plug into, all would be line 2.

If you ever go back to having two lines, you would just move that line you moved before, back to the other test jack.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

The second phone receptacle can be rewired to the first phone receptacle's line at any suitable location between the receptacle and the (phone company owned) network interface device. Simple splicing ir tee-ing is okay, you don't need a "gadget" comparable to a TV antenna line splitter.

Be careful when making the new connections. Some phone "wires" inside the respective cables are foil covered cotton or polyester string as opposed to stranded or solid wire.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The second phone receptacle can be rewired to the first phone receptacle's line at any suitable location between the receptacle and the (phone company owned) network interface device. Simple splicing ir tee-ing is okay, you don't need a "gadget" comparable to a TV antenna line splitter.

Be careful when making the new connections. Some phone "wires" inside the respective cables are foil covered cotton or polyester string as opposed to stranded or solid wire.
Also....you don't want to be holding on to those wires if someone calls.....ring voltage is around 50Vac, 20 Hz....it can tingle a little....

Cat5 or Cat6 cable makes great phone cable....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16

Also....you don't want to be holding on to those wires if someone calls.....ring voltage is around 50Vac, 20 Hz....it can tingle a little....

Cat5 or Cat6 cable makes great phone cable....
Come on. How are you ever going to learn. I used to do it with my teeth. Makes the fillings tingle.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ

Actually only on the flat jumpers for connecting device to jack. Cat 3 only has a poly "rip" cord, and the stuff with foil, is not until you get into the 25 pair or higher.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Come on. How are you ever going to learn. I used to do it with my teeth. Makes the fillings tingle.
Heh, knocked me off a stepladder when I was 11 and trying to run a line for a phone to my room. Surprised the hell out of me to see 90vac on the line during ringing when I attached a volt meter to it.

But yes, the situation is simple. Outside the house you have a network interface, inside that box the line from the pole gets cross-connected to your inside wiring. Move the pairs around as needed. Move your line 2 pair from the pole to where the line 1 pair are attached (and leave the line 1 pair detached).

Some newer outside boxes might make it even easier to do this by using RJ11 sockets for the connections. You might be able to just move them that way. But if not then you might have to open the telco side of the box and do it in there. Yeah, they might want to charge you for a truck roll to do this, but if you're careful it's trivially simple to do yourself.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Small bladed needle nose pliers, if you do not have the hex screwdriver with the hole in the end. I have one downstairs, due to I used to have to pull the security screws that secured xbox 360's, when I worked for a 3rd party for Microsoft. Same tool for the security screw on the NID.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Ahh, the good old days...
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Ahh, the good old days...
I still have a few books on building devices to hook to the phone line. One of the first A to D projects I built was so my mom could call the house with a specific sequence of rings to turn on the air conditioning before she got home. I rember having to balance the impedence so it appeared to be another phone (ringer equvalency numbers).
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
I still have a few books on building devices to hook to the phone line. One of the first A to D projects I built was so my mom could call the house with a specific sequence of rings to turn on the air conditioning before she got home. I rember having to balance the impedence so it appeared to be another phone (ringer equvalency numbers).
How do you do that. That is awesome. Can you start a new post or PM me? I dont want to control AC but other things would be cool.
bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgfdc3 View Post
How do you do that. That is awesome. Can you start a new post or PM me? I dont want to control AC but other things would be cool.
You can find these kits all over the web. There are quite a few sites devoted to stuff like this, though nowdays you can purchase them already made & tested.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
You can find these kits all over the web. There are quite a few sites devoted to stuff like this, though nowdays you can purchase them already made & tested.
Do you have the websites? What do I google?
bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I remember the day we were allowed to do our own phone wiring and also the one where we were no longer forced to lease telephone handsets. I also remember less than ten years ago needing two lines with one dedicated for a fax machine. I haven't had a land line at all since a decade or so ago. Hard wire phone lines are really clunky technology when you think about it. I wonder how much longer they will survive.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote