Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Direct Wiring a stove

I have an old house. I am remodeling my kitchen and am putting in an oven. The old oven was directly wired and the issue I am having is there is 4 wires coming out of my oven and only 3 from the circuit box. Black,Red,White,Green are coming from my oven and Black, Red, Ground coming from my circuit box.
Not sure where to put the whit neutral wire. Green to ground I guess, black to black and red to red. But not sure about the white neutral. can anyone help?

javajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to sprtskhne33 Send a message via Yahoo to sprtskhne33

Direct Wiring a stove

If you are remodeling, you should run new wire, and go with 6/3 with ground. That way, white to white, black to black, red to red, and ground to green.

sprtskhne33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Direct Wiring a stove

You need to read the wiring instructions for your new oven. If you have a straight 240 volt oven, you don't need the neutral wire. If your controls run on 120, you definitely need the neutral, and you need to run 3 wire with ground as previously noted by another poster.

To determine the wire size, you need to check the installation instructions, they will tell you what size breaker you need, which will then tell you what size wire you need.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Direct Wiring a stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You need to read the wiring instructions for your new oven. If you have a straight 240 volt oven, you don't need the neutral wire. If your controls run on 120, you definitely need the neutral, and you need to run 3 wire with ground as previously noted by another poster.

To determine the wire size, you need to check the installation instructions, they will tell you what size breaker you need, which will then tell you what size wire you need.
It would be 6/3 with ground and a 50 amp breaker. They are 50amp breakers unless it's a pizza oven.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Direct Wiring a stove

Most wall oven the single verison typically take 30 amp circuit however make sure you have 4 conductor set up to be on safe side.

But for double oven or other odd set up I really advise to read the manufacter info sheet they will list the ampacity on the unit so you can able bring out proper conductor size for it.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #6

Direct Wiring a stove

30 amp is for clothes dryer, not ranges.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Direct Wiring a stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtskhne33 View Post
30 amp is for clothes dryer, not ranges.
Reread it I say OVEN not the range that make the diffrence.

And I have ran quite few single wall oven and most useally wired for 30 amp circuit but the double wall oven useally take 40 amp circuits { unless stated otherwise with manufacter nameplate info }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

Direct Wiring a stove

If it's an oven, then it's only 120v not 240v, so all he would need is 20amps max, and plus he didn't state oven, range, or wall oven. just oven but is it gas or electric, thats what you got to look at.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Direct Wiring a stove

Junkie -- you say there are only 3 wires in the existing box feeding the old oven. Can you describe what the "ground" wire looks like? Is it a single solid conductor (bare or green insulated), or a stranded one that looks like a bunch of small wires twisted together? If it is the latter, you may have type SE cable.

Section 250.140 of the Code allows for type SE cable for ranges, dryers, and ovens where the bare conductor serves as the neutral and grounding conductors collectively in existing older homes. Such a circuit has to originate from the service equipment (not a sub-panel). In that case, both the white and green leads would connect to the bare braided "ground" wire.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Direct Wiring a stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtskhne33 View Post
If it's an oven, then it's only 120v not 240v, so all he would need is 20amps max, and plus he didn't state oven, range, or wall oven. just oven but is it gas or electric, thats what you got to look at.
He said in the first post that the new oven has a red, black, white and green wire. So very obviously it is a 120/240 volt oven. Electric not gas. I have never seen an electric wall oven that was only 20 amps. He needs to read the ratings plate on the unit or the installation instructions to determine the wire and breaker size required. A new 4 wire cable (3 conductors plus ground) should be installed even though there are some NEC exemptions that allow reuse of 3 wire under certain conditions.