Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Direct Burial Conductor Size

What size of direct burial copper wire whould be used for a 200amp run of 400 feet (three conductor, with/without ground?), also what size of aluminum. Any recommendations for using copper vs aluminum, and what would the type designations be that you would ask for when ordering from a supplier. - Thanks -

jrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrepp View Post
What size of direct burial copper wire whould be used for a 200amp run of 400 feet (three conductor, with/without ground?), also what size of aluminum. Any recommendations for using copper vs aluminum, and what would the type designations be that you would ask for when ordering from a supplier. - Thanks -
None that you will want to fool with or buy.
There are many varibles here and your best bet is to hire an electrician.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is this a service lateral to a residential dwelling or a service lateral to a mobile home?

You will want aluminum
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #4

Stubby:

This is a service lateral to a residential dwelling. Is this even doable or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

400 feet? All secondary (120/240v)?

If so I'd say 250MCM URD cable.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

It's doable if you have all the information you need. You need to know how deep the power company wants the trench, do they want a warning tape, do they want the cable buried with sand then dirt, is anything else but power going to be in the trench, pad transformer or pole transformer connection. Is the transformer by the house or 400 feet from the house. Will they allow direct bury? If not you will need conduit and it will big conduit because the wires are not small due to upsizing for the voltage drop to get 200 amps to the dwelling. You need to know the acceptable meter bases and order the correct lug sizes for your wire. If the transformer is at the far end from the house at 400 feet Your going to want secondary distribuition UD aluminum triplex code named "Rider" with reduced neutral. Off the top of my head you will want size 500 kcmil. Your going to need the correct size sch. 80 conduit risers. So on and so forth. There is a lot to go over as you can see. This is just some of it. So an electrical contractor would be a good idea if your not familiar with this type of installation.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I can't add anything to Stubie's last post.

I will ask though. Why 500's?
My POCO will allow up to 250 or so feet of secondary at "standard" size of 4/0AL for a 200A service. Do you think a jump to 500's is necessary?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #8

Around me the POCO is responsible for the first 100'. They will usually work a deal for a 400' run. We would dig the trench and they would lay the wire. The we would cover with sand or screenings then backfill. The last big one I did was 700'. They ran 500 alum. for a 200 amp service.
bigredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Speedy

How much voltage drop are you allowing? Maybe I'm not calculating correctly but I'm assuming 400 foot secondary conductors to the meter location single transformer single customer allowing 3%. I suspect you are closer to the right answer as the lateral would be sized according to the NESC and not the NEC. The NESC generally allows smaller wire. There are some areas though where if the customer owns the lateral he must size it to NEC regulations.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-20-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #10

Stubbie / Speedy Petey / bigredc

Thanks for taking the time to reply, my biggest concern now is that I have already set a meter pole with a 200amp service disconnect breaker box. Should have talked to the experts first .

I will check the information label on the breaker box to see if it states the largest wire size that can be connected.