Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Leak Sealer

Share |

Direct Breaker Tap to Bus?

I have a machine that is used at existing residential jobsites. It requires 2 20 amp circuits. Its usually possible to access a kitchen (20 amp circuit) but finding another seperate one can be a problem. Does anyone manufacture a tap that can be used at the panel? I could probably make one using 2 20 amp breakers but then I would have to have a set for every proprietory panel manufacturer. The other issue would be the necessity of making sure the panel is not just sitting there in an occupied home with no cover on it.

I should probably break down and buy a generator but that's just one more thing to have to drag along to the job.

Just kicking the idea around in my head to see what pans out.

IREnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREnergy View Post
I have a machine that is used at existing residential jobsites. It requires 2 20 amp circuits. Its usually possible to access a kitchen (20 amp circuit) but finding another seperate one can be a problem. Does anyone manufacture a tap that can be used at the panel? I could probably make one using 2 20 amp breakers but then I would have to have a set for every proprietory panel manufacturer. The other issue would be the necessity of making sure the panel is not just sitting there in an occupied home with no cover on it.

I should probably break down and buy a generator but that's just one more thing to have to drag along to the job.

Just kicking the idea around in my head to see what pans out.
Maybe you could get a 4-wire dryer cord and wire it to a small panel like the one below. They are like $13.00 at Home Ripoff. Put two 20 A single pole breakers in it to protect the circuits. Put you a couple GFCIs in a box attached to it with a short nipple. When you go to the job site, plug it into the dryer outlet. Then plug your machine into the GFCIs.
Attached Images

Last edited by InPhase277; 02-29-2008 at 03:54 PM.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Leak Sealer

Thanks very much! This goes to show that there is beauty in simplicity!
By the way, do you know if anyone makes a 4 prong to 3 prong adapter for the dryer recepticle. With that, I'll be good to go.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREnergy View Post
Thanks very much! This goes to show that there is beauty in simplicity!
By the way, do you know if anyone makes a 4 prong to 3 prong adapter for the dryer recepticle. With that, I'll be good to go.
An adapter would have to be made yourself, but no good electrician would recommend it. A 3 wire dryer outlet relies on the neutral for the ground. A bad idea.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #5

You could make it with a removable cord. Then have different cord to attach to it. One for dryer receptacle. One for stove receptacle.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Leak Sealer

Thanks Guys, I'm on the right track here. InPhase277, I agree and am 100% against not having a solid ground. Glad you mentioned it. joed, you have given me a good but last choice for a recepticle. Ranges have a nasty way of shredding vinyl! But you've got me in the correct room for a 20 amp source. I could use that and the washer recep. hoping that there isn't a freezer or something like that on the same circuit. I am going to build a box per InPhase277's suggestion to use on 4 prong recepticles.