Dining Room Fixture Dimmable? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dining Room fixture dimmable?

How would I know if I can add a dimmer switch in our dining room? This is what I know about it, at the ceiling is a rectangular box that must contain a transformer. Hanging from this is a metal braided cable pair on the left and another on the right. One part of each pair goes to a weight, the other splits and connects to one of the squares. These squares hold the lights, and the left cable connects to an outer square and the right connects to an inner square. It seems to me these are low voltage lights. When I turn the switch on, it takes a few seconds before they go on.

Our old house had a couple of low voltage halogen fixtures that had dimmers. My guess is that this is the same principle. I don't see any label or name or anything that I can search on to confirm. What are the odds that I will damage something with a dimmer switch?

Appreciate any help you all can give me.

Advertisement

newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

45% chance it require a magnetic low-voltage dimmer.

45% chance it require an electronic low-voltage dimmer.

10% chance it will take a standard incandescent dimmer.

Myself, I'd either confirm what I needed or live without the dimmer.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

If you can open the box up and see the transformer, it will tell you what type it is. Generally speaking, an electronic transformer will be fairly small and plastic. Magnetic transformers tend to be larger and sometimes not fit inside of a box (but they can). Maybe you could post a pic of the transformer and we could help more. It WILL affect what kind of dimmer you buy.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #4

I pulled it off the ceiling briefly, it was kind of heavy and difficult to deal with so I didn't get any pictures. Inside the transformer said it was a Wang House WH-1051E. I noticed a label on the unit itself that said it was 12V only, 20W Type G4 Halogen. They don't look like any halogen I have ever seen before.

So, will I damage it if I try the standard dimmer I have?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

If it was big and heavy there is a good chance it is magnetic low-voltage, and yes, a standard dimmer will hurt it (or the dimmer, more likely the transformer).

If you want to take a chance I'd take a chance on a magnetic low-voltage dimmer.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #6

What was big and heavy was the light itself. The transformer was a lot smaller than I expected. I would say it was probably about 6-7 inches by about 2-3 inches by about 3/4 inch. Smaller and lighter than a laptop transformer, for instance. The lamp itself was two square metal runs plus a counter weight for moving the whole thing up and down. That is where all the weight is.

I can't find anything about the lamp itself, make or model, and that transformer model doesn't come up in any of my googling. I think I am going to have to track down where our builder bought the thing from.

Advertisement