Dimmer Switches To Lamps To Plug In Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dimmer switches to lamps to plug in outlets

Hey, I'm putting together a music/light show and I've got some questions about using dimmer switches. All the online tutorials on how to install dimmer switches are for people wanting to change the lighting in their houses. What I need is to have say, 5-7 lightbulbs (probably in lamps or some really simple fixture, and each bulb will be either 40 or 60 watt incandescent) controlled by dimmers that I can just plug into a powerstrip for portability. Each light needs to be able to be dimmed independently of each other.
Thanks

Advertisement

keithansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Dimmer switches to lamps to plug in outlets

See if you can find metal boxes (start with the 4 inch square boxes) that will fit the dimmer with its special cover plate and a standard duplex receptacle. Or one box that holds two dimmers and another box that holds two duplex receptacles; they make a cover for the latter. Connect multiple boxes together using nipples and fasten them all to a piece of 1x6 lumber or plywood. Add one cord and plug for power to this portable conglomeration. If you insist, you can break off the tab between the gold screws of a duplex receptacle so each dimmer serves just one half and four dimmers in two boxes feed two duplex receptacle units in a third box.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote