Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 516

Dimmer Switch wired to receptacles?

Will a dimmer switch (the type that looks like a normal light switch, not the dial) work when connected to two receptacles instead of light fixtures? Just trying some ideas here and want to make sure im not creating a fire hazard here...
Just to clarify, lamps would be plugged in to these receptacles. Only table lamps. Nothing else.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

It will work, but it's not code compliant. The problem is what happens when someone plugs a vacuum into that receptacle...

jbfan (01-28-2013), Jim Port (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Little chance of that... These two (if it was to be done this way) would be behind the bedside tables and like i said, only lamps would be plugged in here. Plus its all wood floors, so really, no chance of that. If i had carpet, and if i want to plug in something else, there are already three other receptacles in the room that are hot all the time and wired with 12G wire, so i seriously doubt me or anyone else would take the trouble to access a hidden plug when there are three perfectly good accessible ones available. So hooking the two lamp receptacles up to a dimmer switch would not be a fire hazard, right?
And not sure how it is not to code, because you guys told me that in a bedroom, code requires a dimmer. Well the light in the bedroom (at this point in time) is planned to be two lamps on either side of the bed. There wont be a central light fixture because im not tearing out the ceiling. Explain this to me, please?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Receptacles on dimmers are not allowed per code, and I remember telling you that dimmers are not required by code to be used anywhere.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

i guess i can go back and exchange the dimmers for normal switches.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
And not sure how it is not to code, because you guys told me that in a bedroom, code requires a dimmer. Well the light in the bedroom (at this point in time) is planned to be two lamps on either side of the bed. There wont be a central light fixture because im not tearing out the ceiling. Explain this to me, please?
Go read the NEC yourself if you don't believe me. You came here and asked the question, so I answered it. 404.14(E) prohibits it. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that a dimmer is required in a bedroom. Even if a dimmer were required in a bedroom (which it's not - dimmers are never required), that's unrelated to the prohibition of dimmers on receptacles.
Jim Port (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 168

If you really want those lamps dimmed, you could use an X10 or Universal Powerline Bus setup. (The former is cheaper, but the latter works a lot better.) I've also seen a type of alternate receptacle that's intended for the purpose; the idea is that you replace the plugs on the end of the lamp cord with these special plugs, and only those special plugs will plug into the special receptacle. However, I can't find it now.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_f3_20 View Post
If you really want those lamps dimmed, you could use an X10 or Universal Powerline Bus setup. (The former is cheaper, but the latter works a lot better.) I've also seen a type of alternate receptacle that's intended for the purpose; the idea is that you replace the plugs on the end of the lamp cord with these special plugs, and only those special plugs will plug into the special receptacle. However, I can't find it now.
The receptacles you're talking about are made by Lutron:

http://files.lutron.com/hwi/TRG/366-...eceptacles.pdf
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Receptacles on dimmers are not allowed per code, and I remember telling you that dimmers are not required by code to be used anywhere.
Be he REALLY wanted to do it so he figured if he asked again someone might say it's OK.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
Little chance of that... These two (if it was to be done this way) would be behind the bedside tables and like i said, only lamps would be plugged in here.
Really?
And only you will ever live there?
And the room will NEVER get rearranged?
And no one will EVER plug in phone chargers, alarm clocks, laptop/iPad/Kindle cords, etc?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #12

Well excuse me. So sorry. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

I've seen it done before...plugged into it was a 18 gauge lamp cord that was ran under trim and behind wallpaper to some light fixtures....
It was something the homeowner had done later. I guess that's one disadvantage to having switched receptacles, someone could always put in a dimmer, and then sooner or later someone could plug in a vacuum or computer.
I do like the idea of the Lutron dimming receptacles someone posted. I would go with that.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,152

I use a plug in touch pad dimmer. They are are available as either a variable dimmer or 3 level. About 10 bucks at the big boxes and better hardware stores.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #15

thanks for replying. If there was any chance of someone plugging a vacuum or computer into one, i wouldnt even consider it, but there's not. There is no carpet, so no need for a vacuum. The room is not big enough for a computer desk, and i dont use a laptop in bed. Yes we are the only ones who will ever live here, because we bought it for so little, spent so much fixing it up, and have no rent payments or mortgage payments so we would be downright stupid to ever sell it. and no, the room can NOT be rearranged, because the bedframe and headboard will be built in. Even if we someday got a new place and decided to rent this one out, they could not move the bed, and upon moving out i would take the precaution of removing these receptacles, cutting the cord from the switch, and wiring in a central light fixture. Besides that the room isnt large enough to rearrange furniture, there is too much built in to be able to have that freedom.

However, no need to worry because im taking the dimmers back and inserting a normal switch to the two receptacles. Itll be fine. And if we ever decide to move, i will do as i said and remove the receptacles and put in a central light. Drywall is beyond simple to patch.

Last edited by TrailerParadise; 02-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote