Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Dimmer Switch will not work

Trying to hook up a dimmer switch for my dining room light but can only get the lights with the dimmer to go off and on. It will not dim and also tried a new dimmer switch with same results. Tried to hook up the wires with all options I know but same result. NEED HELP as this problem is driving me crazy.
Penn State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Is it a 3-way switch set-up?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

What kind of lights?
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

And what model number dimmer you have ?? as other two members stated they are right on the spot and also how many conductors in the switch box as well.

If that is three way there may a issue with connections.

Oh by the way if you use the CFL bulbs most cheap CFL are NOT dimmable at all only few are dimmable { only if marked or stated } Ditto with LED's

Merci.
Marc
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Is it a 3-way switch set-up?
NO it is not
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
And what model number dimmer you have ?? as other two members stated they are right on the spot and also how many conductors in the switch box as well.

If that is three way there may a issue with connections.

Oh by the way if you use the CFL bulbs most cheap CFL are NOT dimmable at all only few are dimmable { only if marked or stated } Ditto with LED's

Merci.
Marc
It is a 12 or 14 conductor. And not using CFL but in condesents
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn State View Post
Tried to hook up the wires with all options I know but same result. NEED HELP as this problem is driving me crazy.
There shouldn't be any "options" as the dimmer should have only two screws and you should have only two wires. How many watts of light bulbs does the fixture have?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
There shouldn't be any "options" as the dimmer should have only two screws and you should have only two wires. How many watts of light bulbs does the fixture have?
Wires into the switch black , green & white coming from my C/B box (black is only wire that is hot) 3 wires coming from my light fixture black, white & green. 3 other wires black, green & white coming from a wall recep.

Put a jumper wire (small black) onto the hot wire nut them with with 1 hot going to 1 of the two black wires on the dimmer switch and the other hot black over to the wall recep. black. Ran the black coming from the light fixture the other black coming off the dimmer switch. Tied all the remaining whites together and then tied all the grounds (greens) together. Using 40 watt incondesent bulbs in the fixture. When I turn the dimmer on the fixtures it only goes on and off and will not dim? Replaced the dimmer with another with the same result. NEED HELP SOLVING THIS with someone that knows electrical trouble shooting. I have changed many dimmers but never ran into this problem?? HELP!!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #9

is this the type of dimmer that the knob rotates to dim the lights or does it have a slider on it?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is this the type of dimmer that the knob rotates to dim the lights or does it have a slider on it?
I tried both??
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Did it work at one point? I've seen dimmers act that way after they've been shorted out. Did you maybe short it by accident the first attempt? Basically that would be hot and neutral going straight to the dimmer. Some poof noise would probably have been heard along with a tripping breaker. Or it could be defective out of the box.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #12

question: why did you have to connect so many wires when you changed from the switch to the dimmer? it should have been unhook 2 wires from the switch and hook 2 wires to the dimmer. what red squirrel said too
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Did it work at one point? I've seen dimmers act that way after they've been shorted out. Did you maybe short it by accident the first attempt? Basically that would be hot and neutral going straight to the dimmer. Some poof noise would probably have been heard along with a tripping breaker. Or it could be defective out of the box.
I will not dim but works fine (on/off) with single pole switch.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
question: why did you have to connect so many wires when you changed from the switch to the dimmer? it should have been unhook 2 wires from the switch and hook 2 wires to the dimmer. what red squirrel said too
You need two hots!! One going to the switch and jumping over to the wall out so it can be hot all the time.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I could see one defective dimmer but not two different brands?