DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dimmer Switch Question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  spark plug 
#1 ·
I wired an addition on a house, Added a 20 amp breaker, 12/2wg romex, so its a fresh circuit. Brought power from panel to a double gang box, inside box is one single pole switch and one dimmer switch. Dimmer switch controls inside lights on addition and single pole controls 2 outdoor lights.
Here's my problem, inside light works perfect but outside lights flicker, the inside lights are flourescent lights special made for the dimmer switch, however outside lights are regular screw in type flourescent bulbs. Is it possible that dimmer switch is causing feedback to outside bulbs b/c of them being on the same source of power?

#4 ·
I just installed the same exact situation in my basement and I do not have any trouble with the lights flickering. Do your flourescent lights on the dimmer dim all the way down with each other, or do some of them start to shut off the further down you go with the dimming?

#7 ·
There's a simple way of testing whether the dimmer on the interior lights is affecting the exterior CFLs. (and whether you did connect them properly.) Keep the dimmer switch in the OFF position while you're working the outside lights. Or. Disconnect the POWER or LOAD side of the Dimmer and see the effects.! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.