Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dimmer Switch Question

I wired an addition on a house, Added a 20 amp breaker, 12/2wg romex, so its a fresh circuit. Brought power from panel to a double gang box, inside box is one single pole switch and one dimmer switch. Dimmer switch controls inside lights on addition and single pole controls 2 outdoor lights.
Here's my problem, inside light works perfect but outside lights flicker, the inside lights are flourescent lights special made for the dimmer switch, however outside lights are regular screw in type flourescent bulbs. Is it possible that dimmer switch is causing feedback to outside bulbs b/c of them being on the same source of power?

Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Dimmer Switch Question

Could it be that you have the outside lights fed from the load side of the dimmer?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Dimmer Switch Question

no, I split the source wire, bugged three blacks and three whites, then went to switches independantly,
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

Dimmer Switch Question

I just installed the same exact situation in my basement and I do not have any trouble with the lights flickering. Do your flourescent lights on the dimmer dim all the way down with each other, or do some of them start to shut off the further down you go with the dimming?
cambishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #5

Dimmer Switch Question

yes, all inside lights dim together perfectly, When I finished hooking up the fixtures and installed bulbs it was really cold outside , and because they where flourescent bulbs, maybe the cold caused them to flicker?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

Dimmer Switch Question

Are the CFL's you are using outside rated for exterior use?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Lightbulb

Dimmer Switch Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire78 View Post
I wired an addition on a house, Added a 20 amp breaker, 12/2wg romex, so its a fresh circuit. Brought power from panel to a double gang box, inside box is one single pole switch and one dimmer switch. Dimmer switch controls inside lights on addition and single pole controls 2 outdoor lights.
Here's my problem, inside light works perfect but outside lights flicker, the inside lights are flourescent lights special made for the dimmer switch, however outside lights are regular screw in type flourescent bulbs. Is it possible that dimmer switch is causing feedback to outside bulbs b/c of them being on the same source of power?
There's a simple way of testing whether the dimmer on the interior lights is affecting the exterior CFLs. (and whether you did connect them properly.) Keep the dimmer switch in the OFF position while you're working the outside lights. Or. Disconnect the POWER or LOAD side of the Dimmer and see the effects.! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote