DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dimmer Switch Problems?

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dansbell 
#1 ·
This will be a long winded message so I hope you can follow. I installed 2 new halogen can lights above my mantle this past weekend. I was able to get into the attic and wire them into an existing can light. In this room there is also a ceiling fan that has a switch for the light and a switch for the fan motor. Just so we are clear there is a electrical box on the wall with what seems to be three seperate switches, one for the ceiling fan light, one for the ceiling fan motor, and one for the existing single can light that I added 2 new can lights on. The problem I am having is that when I installed the dimmer switch on the single can light(now 3 can lights) place in the electrical box, I lost power to the other two switches that run the ceiling fan. I hope this makes some sense. I can try to attach a picture of the wall electrical box, if it would help. I have done installations like this before, so I feel like I know somewhat of what I am doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Danny

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Danny! :rockon:

From your description it sounds as if you mistakenly disconnected the hot from the other two switches. There should be a hot wire that daisy chains between the two switches and the dimmer. The other side of each switch and dimmer should feed each respective downstream device. If that's not the case then could you have somehow interupted the neutral connecton? All the neutrals from each run to the downstream devices should be joined together with the source neutral wire that feeds the box along with the hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.