Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 150

Dimmer Switch

Hi,

Its been a while. I had a question. I have never seen this before so I wanted to have an idea what I am dealing with. I have a standard dimmer switch (not 3-way or anything) with the little switch on the bottom and then a separate slider to control the brightness. The switch works fine (turns lights on and off), but the slider does nothing at all. I didnt change bulbs or anything and I just dimmed it yesterday I think.
I am thinking it may be the dimmer and I should just replace it but maybe there is something else I should consider. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doug

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dimmer Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrus View Post
Hi,

Its been a while. I had a question. I have never seen this before so I wanted to have an idea what I am dealing with. I have a standard dimmer switch (not 3-way or anything) with the little switch on the bottom and then a separate slider to control the brightness. The switch works fine (turns lights on and off), but the slider does nothing at all. I didnt change bulbs or anything and I just dimmed it yesterday I think.
I am thinking it may be the dimmer and I should just replace it but maybe there is something else I should consider. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doug
Just about everything breaks eventually, and today was it's day.
It's Broken.
Buy a new one, less than $10. Turn off the power. Disconnect the old switch, ONLY DISCONNECT THE 2 WIRES THAT ARE CONNECTED TO THE SWITCH, DO NOT DISASSEMBLE / DISCONNECT ANY OTHER WIRES IN THE BOX. Connect the new switch to the same wires, screw it back together, and turn the power back on.

Good luck.
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
DIY'er

Dimmer Switch

Thank You Jamie.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Electrician

Dimmer Switch

Quote:
Hi,

Doug
Broken.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
DIY'er

Dimmer Switch

Thanks all,

I had a recessed light burn out today on that chain of lights. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it just coincidence? In other words is there something dangerous that could have caused the dimmer to go? I am going to replace the dimmer this evening.

Doug

Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
DIY'er

Dimmer Switch

Quote:
Thanks all,

I had a recessed light burn out today on that chain of lights. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it just coincidence? In other words is there something dangerous that could have caused the dimmer to go? I am going to replace the dimmer this evening.

Doug
I doubt there is anything else wrong. You could verify the connections at the fixture where the bulb burnt out to make sure they look good and the connections are well made, but I really don't think it was anything other than a coincidence.

When you replace the dimmer switch, make sure the wire looks good. If there was some kind of short or dimmer problem that was that severe, I think you would have seen problems with the other fixtures and problems with the light level.

I think it will likely all work fine with a new bulb and the new dimmer installed.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote