Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dimmer switch (3 way) and 3 way switch

I want to put three way switching on a dimable light. Is it ok to put 1, 3 way dimmer switch and 1 regular (non-dimming) 3 way switch together in this application? In other words would I need a dimmer 3way switch at each switch location to dim the light?

gabety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabety View Post
I want to put three way switching on a dimable light. Is it ok to put 1, 3 way dimmer switch and 1 regular (non-dimming) 3 way switch together in this application? In other words would I need a dimmer 3way switch at each switch location to dim the light?
With the standard three way dimmer you only need at one location however if you want to dim at both locations you will need a Master and Slave unit so both will work together and can turn on or off and dim at either location.

You can not use standard three way dimmers on both location due they will not work very well at all.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

I think he just wants a dimmer in one of the two locations. This works fine with one 3-way dimmer and one 3-way standard.

But Marc is right..if you DO want to dim at both places, you cannot use two standard 3-way dimmers. You'd need a setup like this:
http://www.smarthome.com/2494M3/Swit...mer-Kit/p.aspx

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secutanudu For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (09-26-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #4

Thanks both of you. I just want one dimmer but glad Marc posted what he did in case my wife thought two would be better.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
in case my wife thought two would be better.
Went shopping for a new microwave the other day. Clerk asked which I was interested in. I told him, "The one my wife will like."

But back to the thread: I did just this several years ago in the living room. Put the dimmer at the hall switch so I can turn a little light on first thing in the morning. Left the regular switch at the front door as it was. So if you turn the light on at the door, it will come on at whatever level the switch at the hall is at. The downside is that it makes the ceiling fan hum at dimmed power but I don't use it there anyway.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

I don't think dimmers are meant to be used on fans...they have specific fan switches for that...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I don't think dimmers are meant to be used on fans...they have specific fan switches for that...
Please read carefully:
Quote:
I don't use it there anyway.
My original circuit was a ceiling light controlled with 2 three-way switches. I installed a dimmer at the hall switch. Later, I replaced the ceiling light with a fan with a light. Yes, I know it could have been wired with a separate hot going to the fan but I connected it in the normal way. That is, simply replacing one fixture for the other and the fan and light circuits taken care of internally. I was simply stating that I had run the circuit with a normal three-way at one end and a dimming three-way at the other end, which is what the OP was asking as I understand his question.

I do not use the dimmer at any setting other than full power to control the fan. But I usually don't turn the fan on first thing in the morning anyway. But, if the fan was on the night before when I turned the switch off, it will hum as I turn it back up the next morning.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #8

I've run my wiring and installed switch and dimmer/switch. I'm having an issue with the function of switches. At one end the switch/dimmer will operate the light on/off fine. At the other end the switch will turn off light if on but not turn it back off.

I've looked and looked at my wiring and schematic but can't see where I've made a mistake.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

How many conductors on both switch box so it help ya a bit to do the troubleshooting and you say it turn on but not turn off sound like you have one of the conductor switched around.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
How many conductors on both switch box so it help ya a bit to do the troubleshooting and you say it turn on but not turn off sound like you have one of the conductor switched around.

Merci.
Marc
I did and have one of two circuits working. It was in the wiring of the switch.

Thanks