Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #1

Share |

dimmer for LED or CFL bulbs

Does anyone know of a good dimmer that:
- works with CFL or LED
- has some form of remote control of it (IR, X10, INSTEON, etc)
- has a fan control in a matching switch
- preferable has a brightness status indicator
- bonus if it can control a fan/light combo with a two wire line in a single gang box (usually with a canopy module)

I do have neutral at my switches, so that is not an issue.

I have been using the Lutron Maestro dimmers, but they dont work well with CFL/LED as they have no neutral connection.

I found these switchlinc that look promising: http://www.smarthome.com/2476DH/Swit...e-White/p.aspx

They dont claim LED/CFL support, but there are a few people around that say they do work well. Its also nice they have a wall module that can turn on lamps at the outlets via the wall switch.

Anyone know of anything better?
atuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Lutron CFL/LED Dimmers
Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
Thanks, but looks like that one only allows dimming from one location and only on/off from other locations in 3/4 way setups.

Oddly, it doesnt have a neutral connection either... I thought LED/CFL dimmers needed a neutral for proper operation?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #4

A fan speed control has always been on the wish list for many using X-10 and insteon. I am unaware of any. I use the switchlinc you mention, and it (or something similar) would meet all your needs except the fan control.

I think a fan control just came out in Z-wave:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/VIZIA-RF-ZWAVE-PRODUCTS/ZWAVE-FAN-CONTROL-Switch.html

I understand that any of the Z-wave dimmers would work with dimmable CFL or LED lamps. It looks like the complete product line is described:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=29028&minisite=10024

Last edited by oberkc; 01-12-2011 at 04:57 AM.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
A fan speed control has always been on the wish list for many using X-10 and insteon. I am unaware of any. I use the switchlinc you mention, and it (or something similar) would meet all your needs except the fan control.

I think a fan control just came out in Z-wave:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/VIZIA-RF-ZWAVE-PRODUCTS/ZWAVE-FAN-CONTROL-Switch.html

I understand that any of the Z-wave dimmers would work with dimmable CFL or LED lamps. It looks like the complete product line is described:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=29028&minisite=10024
The Levitron Vizia RF + off that link seem to do everything but the bonus of the fan+light combo in a 1 gang box. Like the switchlinc, they say incandescent load type with no mention of LED/CFL.

Do you have the switchlink on cfl/led? If so, what bulbs did you use and how well does the dimming work? I'm not so concerned with the fact that they wont dim as low as incandescent, but more with if it was able to dim for the range of the bulb.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #6

I have a house full of insteon products, including the dimmers.

I have used the dimmers on CFL. I don't like the way CFLs dimmed, including the range, but attributed this problem to the lamps rather than the switches. I have not tried dimming LED bulbs personally, but others have reported that they work fine with the insteon dimmers. All reports are that the insteon dimmers work with dimmable CFL and LED lamps. If you are interested, check out smarthome forum and perform a search on that topic.

One thing to watch out for, however, is that there is a minimum load required on many of these devices. Usually, 10w is PLENTY, but I have experienced a glow from some low-power LED lamps when the switch is off.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
I have a house full of insteon products, including the dimmers.

I have used the dimmers on CFL. I don't like the way CFLs dimmed, including the range, but attributed this problem to the lamps rather than the switches. I have not tried dimming LED bulbs personally, but others have reported that they work fine with the insteon dimmers. All reports are that the insteon dimmers work with dimmable CFL and LED lamps. If you are interested, check out smarthome forum and perform a search on that topic.

One thing to watch out for, however, is that there is a minimum load required on many of these devices. Usually, 10w is PLENTY, but I have experienced a glow from some low-power LED lamps when the switch is off.

K... thanks for the info.

Min load isnt too much of an issue for me as all my circuits have a ton of lights on the circuit (6-15).
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Someone makes dimmer switches that will work with both LED and CFLs?

How is that even possible?

A dimmer for an incandescent will work for a n LED this I know but we always have to get special dimmers for the CFL cans that we install.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #9

The Lutron ones above (not the maestro ones I have) are the only ones I've found that actually say they work on both. I dont know how well though and the compatible bulbs is limited to certains ones that Lutron picks. The list is on their web site if you want to see.

My big concern with them is they lack a neutral connection... I thought all the new code changes to require a neutral in the switch box was specifically to allow dimming of CFL/LED since the incandescents are on their way out.

All the others like the switchlinc state the supported load is incandescent, but I'm finding more and more hits of people saying they work well like above. I really wish they would officially support CFL/incandescent.
The Following User Says Thank You to atuel For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Chicago, IL

LUTRON bulb compatibility list for CL Dimmers
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote