Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dimmer for Halogen Track Lighting

I have installed 4 48" sections of lowes portfolio track (lighting) that are connected with right angle connector to make a square in the center of my kitchen ceiling. I then put up 12 Portfolio model Model: P711WH track fixtures that came with 50W PAR16/GU10 light bulbs. Needless to say this puts out a lot of light and heat but I need that many fixtures to cover the counters, cabinets and eat at bar. I pulled the power from a ceiling box that was already in place. I removed the old fixtures. It had two fixtures on the same circuit but i took down the other and secured the wires than put a cover over the box.
My questions are:
Can I install a dimmer for these fixtures?
If so, I have 2 switches for the lighting. One at the back door and one as you enter the room from the living room (Used most) so how would I handle the wiring.
I am a Computer engineer (Computers not Electrical Engineer) and pretty handy with electronics and meters and have stocked up on them including circuit tracers (to find a circuit from the box), clamp meters and such.

I recently tore out the entire kitchen and had it rewired as it did not have a built-in microwave, dishwasher, or garbage disposal. I also had GFI receptacles installed all around the kitchen.

Here are picture of the kitchen before the track lighting and bartop was installed

One

Two

Three

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CompEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Lighting Store Owner

Yes you can install a dimmer on the track. You will need to count the wattage a buy the right one. My guess is you will be under 600 watts. You will also need to buy a 3-way dimmer and install it on either side you want. Lutron DV603 will work if you have Decora switches.

noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

You have 50 watts per fixture, 12 fixtures, for a total connected load of 600 watts.

While a 600 watt dimmer might do the job, I'd be willing to bet it would run hot, and eventually fail. I'd opt for a 1000 watt unit, for some wiggle room.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote