Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dimmer and ceiling fan

I have two switches in my bedroom...one controls an outlet I do not have any use for and the other controls my ceiling fan light combo...I have only one "hot" wire in the ceiling box.....I would like to rewire one of the switches to control only the light on my ceiling fan and the other switch to control only my fan....I am a renter so no construction allowed...I think this is impossible to do.... am I right?
Also the reason for all of this is I wAnt to put a dimmer on the light and cannot do so if the fan motor is on the same wire correct?

doitherselfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

Dimmer and ceiling fan

I would say you are pretty much stuck with what you have. Short of pulling a new 14/3 wirw to have an extra hot there is no way to do this

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 20

Dimmer and ceiling fan

Correct, motor loads should not be on dimmers. They need a speed control.

This might be possible depending on how the fan box is wired. There may be a an option to change this depending on how the wiring is run.

Since you are a renter you should approach the landlord. Maybe he can hire a licensed contractor and let you pay and take it off your rent.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

Dimmer and ceiling fan

Some fan manufacturers have kits that allow for separate control of the fan and light. Installation requires removing the canopy and rewiring the fan according to the kit instructions and mounting a controller inside the canopy. Some of these kits are for remote controls and some have their own wall switch that "reads" through the switchleg.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Dimmer and ceiling fan

With only one hot wire in the ceiling box, the quickest, easiest and cheapest way is to buy a new fan with remote control. I have a Hunter fan that cost about $100 and it has three fan speeds forward and reverse and a dimmer for the lights. Since it is a rental, save the present fan and reinstall it when you move and take your new fan with you.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote