Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Digital Touch Screen Dimmer Switch Wiring

I bought this digital dimmer
http://www.habindustries.com/85/Digi...er_Switch.html

It has 4 wires Black, White, Blue and Green the thing is all I have for wires where I want to install the dimmer (from a previous light switch) is Black (to switch), Red (going from the switch only to fixture) and White tied together with a marette. Where am I supposed to hookup the Blue wire and WTH I have no ground?????
Audiotekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Really need a picture of the box that you are trying to install this device in, and the device. Any wiring instructions that came with this Chinese made item? And what are you trying to control with said device.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

It's for a light fixture in a bedroom

Here's the dimmer

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...-TSD-1000-.jpg

At the back I have the usual wires except for the Blue one which says load on it

I'll post pix of my wiring in a few
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Load is the light or outlet. Wires coming in from the power attach to Black and White, wiring from the light connects from Blue & White with the other white. Now for the Green, that is ground, and if you do not have one in the wiring, you will need it for the dimmer to properly operate. That is one thing they added to the 2011 NEC, is that you have to run 12/3 or 14/3 for all lighting circuits.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

The yellow wire on the pix is white
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...9/IMG00167.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/frenchie29/IMG00170.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/frenchie29/IMG00168.jpg
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

So is the ground essential for the dimmer to work or is it a safety issue? All I see is black and white and the red one comes from the ceiling. I assume from the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Load is the light or outlet. Wires coming in from the power attach to Black and White, wiring from the light connects from Blue & White with the other white. Now for the Green, that is ground, and if you do not have one in the wiring, you will need it for the dimmer to properly operate. That is one thing they added to the 2011 NEC, is that you have to run 12/3 or 14/3 for all lighting circuits.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

That is a old house. Looks like either Plaster & Lathe, or Rock-Lathe. The ground could be wrapped around the jacket of the Romex, just outside of the box, but it appears that someone some time ago ran all new Romex, because that bottom wire appears to not be held by a fitting to keep it in the box. If that is the case, you should have no problem pulling new wiring for that circuit, so that you have the ground.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #8

Was built in early '70s You mean pulling a whole new 12/3 from the box??? I wonder if all the other outlets are actually grounded
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

12/2 for outlets, 14/3 for the lighting, unless you have a lot of lights on that circuit, then yes 12/3 is fine. If you own, I would check it out. Now be aware, that homes built in the 70's used Aluminum wiring, and the methods to connect copper wiring to aluminum requires special connectors, and what is called Nooxid http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies Maybe I'll calla pro :D
Old 08-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

If you do not have the time, that is fine. With guys and girls in the trade for electrician looking for work, due to the building industry has gone stale, it would help them out, especially if you are uncomfortable working with electricity, or not knowing if you may have aluminum wiring in that house, due to the period that it was built.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

Better be safe then sorry. The thing that I'm wondering about and don't find safe is the fact that there's no ground in the wiring!!! So this is the same thing as a regular switch? The switch breaks the Hot? Neutral is untouched but what about the red?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

They 12/3 or 14/3 from above, but 12/2 or 14/2 from below. They also tied both blacks together from both romex to the pigtail on the switch, so that means they are using either the black or red up above to feed another light. Not the correct way. Can you get to the box above to follow the wire coming out of the wall to see if they did anything screwy up there, or may just drop the light on that circuit to see if they tapped off the black or red and went somewhere else. You should have two lights turning off if they did it how I think, or they may have just had some extra wire, and decided that two wires were better than one to feed the light, but it is still 120volts.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #14

As far as I know that switch only controls one light You mean checking the ends where the light itself is?

So in theory the red cable we see on the pict should be the load? blue on the new dimmer?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

The red and black going to the light would be load in your case, since it goes to the light. Normally you would use 3 wire romex for 3 way switches, or in my case, I ran 3 wire for the light in the middle of my kitchen, so I could feed the light over the sink, and from there, used 2 wire romex with ground, so I could have a switch leg, to turn the light off over the sink.