Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Digital temperature switch for an attic fan

I installed a gable end fan a couple of years ago. It works great in helping to keep our home cooler but the mechanical thermostat that came with the fan is useless. No matter how I try to adjust the thermostat (has an adjustment screw), the fan will either not go on at all on a hot day or will just keep running into the night. Luckily I had installed a manual on/off switch in the house so I can manually turn the fan on and off.

Any one know of a 120 volt a/c switch that is digitally controlled by temperature?

Thanks,
HRG

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Would you consider just replacing the original temp switch? Very often the ones which come packaged are the least costly for the mfg. to include. You may want to look around at www.teksupply.com for some controls. There are digital thermostats with remote sensors that you could use and keep the display inside the living area. Unfortunately those may well cost you more than the fan itself. But if it's accuracy you want, you will no doubt have to pay for it.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Are you wanting a control with digital circuitry, or wanting one with a digital readout? Most out there are going to have some form of digital circuit in them for control. If it was my choice, I would go with this Honeywell http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=172778
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Would you consider just replacing the original temp switch? Very often the ones which come packaged are the least costly for the mfg. to include. You may want to look around at www.teksupply.com for some controls. There are digital thermostats with remote sensors that you could use and keep the display inside the living area. Unfortunately those may well cost you more than the fan itself. But if it's accuracy you want, you will no doubt have to pay for it.
Thanks much for your info and link. Shopping the link I found this digital thermostat that sells for $73.95 + shipping:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/suppli...;pg108119.html

The amazing thing is that I found what looks like the same thermostat on amazon for $30.20 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/WIN100-Heating...5024786&sr=1-8

So I just ordered the one from amazon. If it doesn't work out to control our attic fan, I'll use it to control our bedroom fan.

Thanks again for your help,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 09-02-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Are you wanting a control with digital circuitry, or wanting one with a digital readout? Most out there are going to have some form of digital circuit in them for control. If it was my choice, I would go with this Honeywell http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=172778
Hi gregzoll,

I ordered a digital thermostat from amazon and will try that one out first.

Thanks for taking the time to help out,
HRG
Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

I would be afraid of it not being able to handle the surge from start up on the motor for the fan. Keep in mind, that adapting the wiring with a plug, makes for a very bad thing. You do not need a programmable for a attic fan. What you need, is the one I linked, which will handle the surge from when the motor starts up from a dead stop.

The one you bought, would work in something like a pump house, or dog house, where you want a heat lamp to come on at certain times, or a certain temp.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #7

Quote:
I would be afraid of it not being able to handle the surge from start up on the motor for the fan. Keep in mind, that adapting the wiring with a plug, makes for a very bad thing. You do not need a programmable for a attic fan. What you need, is the one I linked, which will handle the surge from when the motor starts up from a dead stop.

The one you bought, would work in something like a pump house, or dog house, where you want a heat lamp to come on at certain times, or a certain temp.
It's rated at 120 volts, 15 amps and the product description says it's used to control heaters and air-conditioners so it looks like it should be able to handle our gable end fan. If not, we need one for our bedroom fan to turn it off at night while we're sleeping when the temperature drops so it will be put to good use.

Thanks much for taking the time to help,
HRG
Old 09-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

But you have to remember, that a attic fan falls under Article 430, namely 430.6(A),(B) and (C). That means, when the motor does start up, that piece of plastic with silicon on a circuit board, will end up looking like someone took a lighter to it. And also, you can not/should not place a plug on the fan, which would namely be against code with the NEC.

If you were me, I would go with the Honeywell controller, and keep the attic fan wired per spec, and that would be with a hard wired connection with BX, as it should be. Leave that cheap fancy switch that you bought for use elsewhere, or cancel the order, because it is the wrong piece of equipment for the job at hand.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #9

Glad you found one. I always price check everything and Amazon is usually a good source for just about everything.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
But you have to remember, that a attic fan falls under Article 430, namely 430.6(A),(B) and (C). That means, when the motor does start up, that piece of plastic with silicon on a circuit board, will end up looking like someone took a lighter to it. And also, you can not/should not place a plug on the fan, which would namely be against code with the NEC.

If you were me, I would go with the Honeywell controller, and keep the attic fan wired per spec, and that would be with a hard wired connection with BX, as it should be. Leave that cheap fancy switch that you bought for use elsewhere, or cancel the order, because it is the wrong piece of equipment for the job at hand.
OK, you convinced me. I'll use the one I bought from amazon to control our bedroom fan.

Discussing this with a friend, he said that Home Depot sells attic fan thermostats. I'll buy one from there since, if it doesn't work properly, it will be easier to return without the shipping costs that buying mail order has.

Thanks for your advice,
HRG