Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

digital ohm meter

If I set my digital meter at 20,000 and it reads, say 7, what does that translate to in ohms?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,044

digital ohm meter

7,000 ohms.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

digital ohm meter

I hate those digital meters and their flashing flip flopping numbers, give me an analogue meter with a pointer and dial and I'm happy!
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
es3

Rewards Points: 10

digital ohm meter

digital is a bit more accurate iirc
es3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,064

digital ohm meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
I hate those digital meters and their flashing flip flopping numbers, give me an analogue meter with a pointer and dial and I'm happy!
Same here. When I was in the Navy in the 1960s, digital meters such as are common today hadn't even been invented. The only digital meters were huge, cost a fortune, and used Nixie tubes for the digits.

If I was still doing electronics work, I'd want my Simpson 260 back!
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

digital ohm meter

Thanks for the responses. Ditto on the analogs. I have a couple here that haven't worked in years. One that belonged to my daddy has not worked in many years.

I usually just use one to check continuity, but sometimes now, I need to measure actual resistance.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

digital ohm meter

Each type has it's uses....

An analog meter is great for testing capacitors....and will force enough current to forward bias a diode or transistor....digital's will not unless they have a diode test function.

It's easier to see a varying voltage on an analog....but the Max/Min function on my Fluke is a great feature....as well as measuring freq. But then again, if your starting to get into that kind of stuff...a scope is most likely in order. Which reminds me....I need to see if my HP 1200C oscope.....single channel...100Khz...weights about 45 lbs....still works....

I still have an old Simpson 260 VOM....when in doubt, I use it....though on occasion, I have to pull it apart and clean the selector switch.

Clamp on amp probes? I'll take an old analog AmpProb any day....it's a lot easier to set up an SCR with an analog than digital.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

digital ohm meter

My multi-tester measures ohms directly. It is digital.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,004

digital ohm meter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Same here. When I was in the Navy in the 1960s, digital meters such as are common today hadn't even been invented. The only digital meters were huge, cost a fortune, and used Nixie tubes for the digits.

I worked in an electronics shop and this subject was discussed often.
We finally decide to put this to a test.

Measuring identical electronic circuits and other electrical devices, we discovered the analog and the digital meters were the same.

However. Most guys had both type. And they used both type.
It was personal preference and nothing more.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
al_smelter (05-06-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

digital ohm meter

Quote:

If you only knew how much that dates you.....you didn't even have to list the decade.....I think I'm old and I was a kid in the 60's...but I remember some boat anchor freq counters that used the Nixie tubes....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #11

digital ohm meter

I figured anyone who knew what a Nixie tube was would probably be of my generation and able to guess about how old I am. I joined the Navy in 1967 at age 19 (retired from the Air National Guard in 2006 at age 58). I'll be 65 in a couple of days. Seen a lot of changes in between, not all good.

Reminds me of something that happened at work a few months ago, just before I retired. I and another employee in his 50s were talking about how we used to work on and modify cars when we were younger. A 20-something mechanical engineer overheard our conversation and interrupted us. His question: "What is a distributor?" When I explained what it was and how engine timing and ignition were totally mechanically controlled back then, he acted like he didn't believe me. His response: "You're kidding, right? That would never work." Oh, if he only knew.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Architectural Sculptor

digital ohm meter

Quote:
His question: "What is a distributor?" When I explained what it was and how engine timing and ignition were totally mechanically controlled back then, he acted like he didn't believe me.
I've rebuilt a number of V8 engines back in the 80s and 90s from the block up, Ford 331 and the Rockwell 5 sp manual tranny in a school bus converted to an RV, my 318 in the '69 Dodge PU truck, a few other Fords and misc, the distributor/points/condensor and carb system worked ok, but setting the timing and points was always a bit of a pain.
I think in the basement I still have an old "sun tune" timing light! hanging on the wall, I should see if it's still there!

I really prefer the fuel injection and electronic ignition, AND I prefer my analogue VOM meter
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

digital ohm meter

Saw a really nice engine analyzer system with analog instruments on an episode of Pawn Stars. Rick bought it thinking his mechanic guy would want it. I think he lost money and only got a couple hundred but I don't remember.

It was state of the art for its time with great oscilliscopes and all the bells and whistles for tuning a car.

Of course now, you can buy a basic/decent analyzer for checking out used cars for like $100 and just plug it in to the computer connection. One company even ties it in to a database to give you a printout of what needed repairs might cost in different parts of the country in addition to red-yellow-green lights for the basic health of the car.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #14

digital ohm meter

Quote:
I've rebuilt a number of V8 engines back in the 80s and 90s from the block up, Ford 331 and the Rockwell 5 sp manual tranny in a school bus converted to an RV, my 318 in the '69 Dodge PU truck, a few other Fords and misc, the distributor/points/condensor and carb system worked ok, but setting the timing and points was always a bit of a pain.
I think in the basement I still have an old "sun tune" timing light! hanging on the wall, I should see if it's still there!

I really prefer the fuel injection and electronic ignition, AND I prefer my analogue VOM meter
Well, I didn't rebuild but a couple of engines, and that was in the 1970s. The highlight was my 340 Duster, with Edelbrock high rise manifold, Holley 4-barrel, Mallory dual-point, headers, and other performance goodies. I got rid of my Sun timing light and my dwell tach a long time ago. Still have my ignition wrench set and feeler gauges for the points, but am not sure why I've kept them.

Ever since we bought our first vehicle with no distributor (1993 Saturn), I've pretty much lost interest in working on cars. There's just not that much you can do to them any more. I always used to have some old "project" car around just to tinker with, but don't even have one of those now. It's just not the fun it used to be. Now I pretty much just change oil and filters on our five vehicles.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 05-05-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

digital ohm meter

I restored British sports cars for a time to keep my sanity and because I could buy them cheap, fix them and turn around and sell them to wanna be California hippies one step up from VWs (which I also restored).

Talk about an analog tool. The bubble float thingie to balance the stupid dual carbs on British cars was quite hilarious thinking back on it. The reason you always see 2-3 British cars in the garage in movies is because only one runs at a time. They overheated if you drove them more than 15 minutes.

I too still have my point gauge, and the simple timing light for VW engines (you just twisted the distributor until it lit. No need to mess with a tach or timing strobe) in my tool box. The only blade I have used in 30 or more years is to gap a small engine plug.

I stopped working on cars when I got my first new one. It was the last of the big engine testorone producing Firebird muscle cars. 1200cc, v8 or whatever was in it. 2 miles to the gallon but fast. Absolutely worthless to take into the mountains without stopping to adjust the carb mixture when you climbed more than 200 feet though. 0-35 in an hour around Lake Tahoe if you did not.

And then, in a fit of buy American I bought two x-body cars instead of Hondas. What total pieces of junk but at least fuel injected. Thanks to them I felt GM deserved to collapse.

Last new car was second model year Accura Integra and it was a magical piece of engineering for its time. Last car I owned was an indestructible Volvo Turbo I was restoring. I destroyed it running over an unsurfaced water pipe that caught and warped the front suspension beyond repair.

Have owned trucks but no cars since. I borrow or rent either when I need one now. Zip Cars are great for me.

Last edited by user1007; 05-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.