Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Digital HD cable splitters

I've recently purchased HD digital cable through verizon FOIS. I currently have coax cable jacks in 6 locations through out the house (4 bedrooms, family room & basement rec room). I also have a HD media DVR (supplied by verizon) which will allow me to record TV programs and watch them in other rooms in the house. I'm noticing a weak signal/ picture in 1 room that is the furthest location from the modem & DVR. Verizon tech and my own research has led me to believe the signal is weak due to too many 3-way and 2-way splitters. Verizon tech recommended to wire each room as a "home run" to minimize splitters and signal loss. They tried connecting an amplifier to boost signal, but it didn't help much. They recommended removing splitters and connecting as home runs. I've seen many 2-way and 3-way splitters on the market but don't know much about splitters that are 4 or more to allow me to connect all rooms as a "home run". Can anyone provide me with some guidance as to what good 6 way splitters are out there and if they will meet verizon fois requirements.

rcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

http://broadbandamps.com/splitters.htm (a lot for splitters though, I would find a better price first!)

Now I do not know a lot about verizon fios, if they use over 1000mhz than you should get a splitter rated for such operation.

Homerun with rg/6 is recommended. Quad shield can be used, but it does not make a big difference.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Of course they want you to do a home run to each TV, so does the cable company. The cable company wants you to do a home run so that you pay for a box at every TV.

Is this a question of not getting any signal AT ALL to the other rooms or are you just trying to get HD to all the other rooms?

If you want HD for the Network channels, (ABC, CBS etc) but can live without it on the cable stations (ESPN, TNT, etc) in those secondary and tertiary rooms then check to see if your HDTV has a QAM feature.

I currently get HD on 2 extra TVs without a box (just split off basic cable) via the QAM receiver in the TVs. Works awesome for the basement TV at no additional cost. If you google QAM and HD you'll find info about it.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowguy View Post
Of course they want you to do a home run to each TV, so does the cable company. The cable company wants you to do a home run so that you pay for a box at every TV.

Is this a question of not getting any signal AT ALL to the other rooms or are you just trying to get HD to all the other rooms?

If you want HD for the Network channels, (ABC, CBS etc) but can live without it on the cable stations (ESPN, TNT, etc) in those secondary and tertiary rooms then check to see if your HDTV has a QAM feature.

I currently get HD on 2 extra TVs without a box (just split off basic cable) via the QAM receiver in the TVs. Works awesome for the basement TV at no additional cost. If you google QAM and HD you'll find info about it.
Huh? There should be one splitter and home runs to each TV. Don't know of many cable companies that charge "per tv" anymore. Usually you just have to pay if you want additional addressable boxes. Any yes, any TV with a QAM tuner should be able to display "unscrambled" HD cable channels.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

With Cablevision you only get HD signal if you use their cable box for each TV. (and you pay a fee for each box) You get ESPN in HD just plugging the coax directly to the back of your TV? If you do you are lucky.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #6

Verizon fios as well as cablevision charges you by the box. I get good reception to every room for TV, however when I want to watch a program that was previously recorded from the DVR in one room and watch it in another, the reception is poor since the signal goes from the modem & DVR player back thru splitters and to the individual rooms. The more splitters you use, especially in series the more signal you lose. My goal is to minimize splitters and signal loss. Will a combo amplifier/ 6-way splitter be a good solution at the main coming into the house?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcassidy View Post
the reception is poor since the signal goes from the modem & DVR player back thru splitters and to the individual rooms.
Splitters generally only work well 1 way, they don't work well when going "back thru".
In order to do what you want, you need another line from the dvr to the appropriate tvs. (alternately, I think they make wireless video "bridges" that you might use)

Verizon probably wants you to make the home runs to the DVR box

EDIT: HD Media DVR seems like a different animal altogether, the above may not apply...

Last edited by daxinarian; 04-16-2009 at 05:05 PM.
daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Has nothing to do with the box. It has to do with the fact, that for each splitter on the line, it decreases the signal. BTW, you have to have a box with FiOS and CATV providers, since Analog is a thing of the past such as the Dinosaur.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

How about the voice data video (VDV) distribution systems? You can just purchase a video module and can upgrade later with network, phone, or video cams modules. You will still need to install a home run to each room but the way I understand this you can distribute cable, vcr, dvr from one source to multiple sources. Or do I misunderstand the concept? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #10

How about a splitter and amp that supports active return path?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #11

Does anybody make return path splitters/ amplifiers?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yup, but they ain't cheap.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #13

who makes them and roughly how much?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #14

Here is an example, not cheap but this website is too pricey.

http://www.broadbandamps.com/Products/VSMA-608C-10R.htm
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

That one is a better deal than most I have encountered.

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote