Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Difficult wiring for new fan/light/nightlight

I am installing a new bath fan/light/nightlight similar to other posts but I have a couple different issues. I apologize if this answer has been made before. Wiring from the fan is As follows - Red and white are for the nightlight, blue and white are for the light, black, green and white are for the fan. I have a black, red, white and green installed in the ceiling. These wires are fed from the two switches that fed the previous fan & light(combo). Wires from the two switches are -One switch(black, black and ground) ran the fan and another switch (black, red and ground) fed the light.

How can I set this up so I can run the light, nightlight and fan independently. I purchased a two way rocker switch in hopes of running the light and nightlight on the switch that previously just ran the light.

Thank you in advance.

Ajaxelcinrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would need three power sources, so that you can power the three separate items.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. Can I have the fan on one switch and the light and nightlight on a double toggle?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Why would you. Just wire the light & fan up, and forget about the night light feature.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

The previous wiring for the fan switch had two black wires and the ground. The light was wired with one black, a red and the ground. If I forget about the nightlight, how would the wiring go? I have a black, a red and a white and ground in the ceiling. The fan itself has a blue and white for the light and black, white and green for the fan. Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Blue & Black are your hots. All of this was discussed in the other thread regarding a fan with night lite.