Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Different color wires on new doorbell transformer....

I'm replacing my doorbell transformer. The old one had two black wires and one green wire. This junction box also has a 2 plugin socket. The two black wires both went to the socket. 1 on the right side and 1 on the left side. The green wire was grounded to the metal junction box.

The new doorbell transformer has 1 green wire, 1 black wire, and 1 white wire. The instructions only show how to hook it up to the incoming feed. (white to white, black to black, ground to box, etc...)

My question is how do I wire in the new transformer with the white wire? Do I treat it just like the old transformer with 2 black wires?

I saw two choices for doorbell transformers at Home Depot, 10v and 15v. I didn't see any with different wiring options. Do they make them for different wiring options. One kind for use with the direct line and another kind for use with a socket?

ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

The only difference between 10v/15v is the output draw....

Wiring should be the same as before.

Any white stripes on the new black wires?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #3

Nope, no difference at all between the two black wires on the old one. They both have very small writing on them in white.

I can't find anything on the Internet about these coming with 1 green and 2 black wires. It seems they all have 1 green, 1 black, 1 white, which makes since. It would be simple if I didn't have to wire it though the plug. I don't have the option to bypass the plug either.

Could I damage the transformer if I wire it in wrong? My only idea is to wire the white wire exactly like the black wire was that comes out of the same spot on the transformer.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Electrician philosopher

The old tranformer really didn't care which wire got hooked to the neutral and which wire got hooked to the hot.

I suspect that the new transformer doesn't care either...but the manufacturer made it easier for you.

I'm assuming that by "2 plug in socket" you mean a receptacle???

If my assumption is correct? Simply (with the power off, of course) take the black wire from the transformer and attach to the brass screw of the recp. The brass screw will be on the same side as the shorter slot on the receptacle and the one the black wire from your house wiring is attached to.

Take the white wire and attach it to the silver screw of the receptacle. This screw will be oposite of the brass scew, corresponding with the longer slot of the receptacle, and the one the white wire is attached to. It will also be on the same side as your ground wire, if you have a three wire recp. Attach the green as before.

Post back with any questions...Don't let that pesky white wire throw you off. It is essentially the same as the old one.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

OOPS!!! Brain fart of gigantic proportions....You cant wire the transformer to the receptacle outlet. It has to be hardwired. I typed that whole post without thinking.

Post back and we will think of other options....Why can't you tie in elsewhere?

Andy

Edit to add: I guess the question is...If you are attaching this to a recp. Where does the transformer sit? The transformer, while not huge, can't possibly fit behind the recp. in the box. I'm confused.

Last edited by Andy in ATL; 11-19-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #6

The transformer sits on top of a metal junction box. It's made to screw tight using a knockout hole.

I completely bypassed the receptacle and just wired it straight to the power source. White to White, Black to Black, Ground to Green. I attached the little red wires on the output side. I went to the wires at the door and touched them together to short the wires and see if the doorbell worked.....it didn't. So I swapped the red wires on top of the transformer since I'm not sure if it matters which one goes where....shorted the lines at the door.....nothing.

Now I'm just frustrated. I guess I'll have to buy a volt meter to see if I'm getting 15V from the output of the transformer and then see if I'm getting any power to the lines at the switch.

I find it very unlikely that I have a broken wire since when I was wiring in the new switch (see other post) I was able to get the light on the switch to flicker on and off and was able to ring the doorbell on one occasion.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,506

Sounds like the doorbell unit itself is defective.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

To Test Low Voltage Transformer Touch The 2 Screws With A Flat Head Screw Driver If It Sparks Its Good, Are The Wires Red And White? If So You Have 2 End Points Red & White @ Button, Red & White @ Trans, Leave The White Wire @ The Chime Uncut Cut The Red Hookup On Chime Marked Trans & Door
SANDBAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Eibwen

Dont get frustrated.. Its those little jobs that ya think will take two minutes that drive us all crazy... TRUST ME...

Pick up an inexpensive multimeter for a few bucks and start testing. That way your working with known factors.

Check the output at the transformer and see if you have 10-16 volts AC coming of the transfromer.. Then test across your door bell button leads..
Wiggle the wires and see if they still test o.k. I've seen trim nails or lock strike screws hit door bell wires before.

If both of those test o.k. you can go to your chime/bell while somebody pushes the door bell button and see if you get voltage there.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #10

***In reference to the doorbell unit itself going out***

That is an option, but I don't know of a way to test it out. It seems odd that it would go out by just replacing the switch at the door.

Any way to test it out?

Last edited by ConstantChange; 11-19-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #11

Will Work Anyway You Hook It Up
Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #12

May Need Resistor On Button Between Screws
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Dont get frustrated.. Its those little jobs that ya think will take two minutes that drive us all crazy... TRUST ME...

Pick up an inexpensive multimeter for a few bucks and start testing. That way your working with known factors.

Check the output at the transformer and see if you have 10-16 volts AC coming of the transfromer.. Then test across your door bell button leads..
Wiggle the wires and see if they still test o.k. I've seen trim nails or lock strike screws hit door bell wires before.

If both of those test o.k. you can go to your chime/bell while somebody pushes the door bell button and see if you get voltage there.

Yeah, I thought this would just be an easy cosmetic fix. Now it's turn into a pain in my butt.

It sounds like I'll just need to get a volt meter and trace it that way. I was looking at some volt meters today and of course I couldn't just get the $20 one after seeing all the cool things the $80 one does and I couldn't justify spending $80 until I tried just replacing the transformer to see if that fixed everything.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Eibwen

Heck mine is only ten bucks...

I aint launching rockets into space... Just testing a circuit here or there...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #15

Just an FYI on the situation.

I had an ugly switch at my entry door. The doorbell worked fine. I tried replacing the old switch with a new switch that has a lighted button. While installing the new switch, the light would come on and off. I couldn't get it to stay on for a long period of time. I was able to ring the doorbell once while the light was on. After playing with the wires for awhile trying to get the light to stay on, the button no longer would light.

Today I tried replacing the transformer. The old one was a 10v version. The new one I tried installing was a 15v version. I assumed the light might be drawing more than 10v which could be causing the problem. After installing the new transformer, I jumped the wires at the door and still couldn't get the doorbell to ring.

That's where I stand now.