Difference Between House & Outbuilding Code - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Difference between house & outbuilding code

I am in the process of building myself a wood workshop in a new building about 200 feet from my house. I have had a buried service (200w) installed and am using a single GFI circuit for construction. I am familiar with the code for this area (Tallahassee, FL) for residences, but suspect that the code is not quite so demanding for outbuildings. Is this true? How can I get hold of the appropriate code information? I am currently working under a Service Inspection release and will need to satisfy code for my final electrical.

Advertisement

OleTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTimer View Post
...a new building about 200 feet from my house.
I have had a buried service (200w) installed...
I'll assume that means 200Amp...

Where does this power come from?
Is it a separate service with it's own meter?
Or is it derived from the service at your house?

Quote:
How can I get hold of the appropriate code information?
It's the same NEC. Different sections pertain to different issues.
You can order a copy off of Amazon.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Unhappy

Of course I meant 200 amp. Too many hours with a framing nailer in the past month!

The service is separate and on its own meter. It's picked off at the pedestal where our house service originates, but goes in the opposite direction.

Thanks for the info re getting the NEC from Amazon. I figured that Florida would have had to tweak things - they do about everything else. I just haven't been able to find anything definitive online that told me that the federal applied. How do I know what version of the NEC that Florida has adopted?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
The service is separate and on its own meter.
How do I know what version of the NEC that Florida has adopted?
Call downtown and ask to be sure..

http://www.municode.com/
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

If the county or city has additional rules, then there should be a supplemental book or brochure for example "Nashua Electric Code"

This will make reference to the edition of the NEC in effect for the county or city.

I'm quite sure that for the same kind of feed as the main building (for example directly from the meter to a "main" panel) the same rules apply to the outbuilding. Obvious differences would be waterproof equipment as needed for an open structure such as a post barn.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Your house is considered a dwelling unit while your outbuilding is considered a structure.
There are not as many requirements for a structure as there are for a house/dwelling.

A talk with the AHJ would be a good idea. We cannot expect you to learn the NEC overnight and the inspector can save you time and money.
You can download a free copy of the NEC.
Good luck.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Your house is considered a dwelling unit while your outbuilding is considered a structure.
There are not as many requirements for a structure as there are for a house/dwelling.
That was what I expected, and a chat with the contractor that installed the service confirmed that with some reservations. While there are no requirements for specific numbers/placement of outlets, there is a GFI requirement. That is, the first outlet in every circuit must be GFCI type.

Quote:
A talk with the AHJ would be a good idea. We cannot expect you to learn the NEC overnight and the inspector can save you time and money.
You can download a free copy of the NEC.
I became intimate with the NEC many years ago, but have not had occasion to remain current. My question really was "How do I know what version I need to get refreshed on, and where can I get a copy of that version?" I haven't had any luck just goggling for "Florida NEC" or anything similar that I came up with. I can probably find a copy at my local library if I can ever find out what to ask for. As for talking to the AHJ, the people that could answer the question are protected by layers of automated phone menus and receptionist that promise to "have someone call you back". I haven't been willing go go downtown and sit in the office and really bug busy people. Just thought someone on the forum might be familiar with current Florida regs and could tell me what NEC to use.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
That was what I expected, and a chat with the contractor that installed the service confirmed that with some reservations. While there are no requirements for specific numbers/placement of outlets, there is a GFI requirement. That is, the first outlet in every circuit must be GFCI type.

The underlined part is only half true. All receptacles must be GFI protected. This is usually accomplished by installing a GFI in the first outlet location and "loading" the other receptacles on the circuit.

I became intimate with the NEC many years ago, but have not had occasion to remain current. My question really was "How do I know what version I need to get refreshed on, and where can I get a copy of that version?" I haven't had any luck just goggling for "Florida NEC" or anything similar that I came up with. I can probably find a copy at my local library if I can ever find out what to ask for. As for talking to the AHJ, the people that could answer the question are protected by layers of automated phone menus and receptionist that promise to "have someone call you back". I haven't been willing go go downtown and sit in the office and really bug busy people. Just thought someone on the forum might be familiar with current Florida regs and could tell me what NEC to use.
As far as I know, the NEC does not put out a free version. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it. I don't think you need to go down to the inspection dept, just call them. They will be able to tell you what version you are using and then you should be able to get a copy of local codes online.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
As far as I know, the NEC does not put out a free version. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it. I don't think you need to go down to the inspection dept, just call them. They will be able to tell you what version you are using and then you should be able to get a copy of local codes online.
Maybe I am the one that's wrong Buz. I know some of the guys at ET have mentioned that there indeed is a free version available.

OleTimer. Get familiar with the current code. 2011.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

I believe www.necplus.org allows one day free access with sign up.

Advertisement

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote