Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

difference between arcfault and gfci?

hello,

i know what a gfci outlet/breaker is, and where and why its needed, but just what exactly is an arcfault outlet/breaker, and why is it designated for use in bedroom outlets? i asume from its name, it surpresses arcing, but why not use this type of outlet/breaker throughout the house?

bob

bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

difference between arcfault and gfci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo
hello,

i know what a gfci outlet/breaker is, and where and why its needed, but just what exactly is an arcfault outlet/breaker, and why is it designated for use in bedroom outlets? i asume from its name, it surpresses arcing, but why not use this type of outlet/breaker throughout the house?

bob
I have heard rumors that in the next code go around, arc faults will be required in more places, but I've also heard from a couple shops in my neck of the woods that as soon as the inspector leaves they jerk all the arc faults out and replace them with standard breakers due to call backs. (they claim they won't reset after tripping for no reason) Anybody else had problems with these things acting up? I guess what we need is a 200 amp main with gfi and arc fault capabilty and we'll all sleep better at night.

ryaniniowa is offline   Reply With Quote