Did I Re-wire My Main Panel Correctly ?! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Did I re-wire my Main Panel correctly ?!

Hello. I have a Mobile Home (all electric) in a rural part of Florida which i bought recently, and the Main Panel is on the Pole outside . The Meter and Panel appear to be all one piece with the Meter Bus Bars running about 12" to the Panel Bus Bars (held in contact with each other by a few screws) . There was no Main Breaker to kill the power for everything at the Pole , so i wanted to install a 125 amp G.E. Breaker to act as the Main Shutoff .

So, what i did was the following which is working well thus far...but i want to know if it is acceptable and safe ? : I pulled the Meter out of the sockets , and carefully drilled a 1/4" hole thru the center of each Meter's Bus Bar and installed a copper Lug to each after shining up the Bus Bar and backside of the Lug ; the Lugs are bolted into place using a split washer in front of the nut and torqued down very tight with no movement whatsoever . I attached #3 gauge THHN copper Wire to each and ran a short distance (maybe 12") to an empty space in the Panel for the new 125 amp Breaker . In order to detach the existing Meter Bus Bars from the Panel Bus Bars...i seperated the two from each other and placed a 3/8" thick piece of plywood to permanently seperate the two, leaving the Meter Bus Bars resting on the front of the wood and impossible of making electrical contact. I did a dry run to make sure that the Meter Cover would close tight and adequately , in which it does. I made no changes to the Main Nuetral or Ground Wires .

After putting everything back together, i ran my Electric Furnace which pulled 63 amps., for about 15 min.... and monitored the modification i had made to see if anything adverse occured. All was fine. I waited a few days then rechecked my modification work and everything was fine
. I measured the voltage at the Main Panel (new) Lugs i installed and compared it to the voltage in the house...and there was no difference (246 volts) . I measured voltage between each new Lug and Ground and get 123 volts .

Questions : 1. Was this an acceptable and safe way to do it ? 2. Anything i should be aware of ? I could take a short video of the installation if that would help you analyize it .

Many thanks, David.

Advertisement

Last edited by TheyCallMeDave; 11-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.
TheyCallMeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

Plywood would not be the best choice as an insulator. It can absorb moisture which will in turn allow current to flow through. It would not be the path of choice for the current as it would be a fairly high resistance, but it might pass enough current to zap you if you thought the circuits were dead because you turned off your main breaker. Not sure about codes in Florida, but modifying the entrance panel or meter socket is not allowed here. It voids the UL approval.

Advertisement

chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Plywood would not be the best choice as an insulator. It can absorb moisture which will in turn allow current to flow through. It would not be the path of choice for the current as it would be a fairly high resistance, but it might pass enough current to zap you if you thought the circuits were dead because you turned off your main breaker. Not sure about codes in Florida, but modifying the entrance panel or meter socket is not allowed here. It voids the UL approval.
Thanks for your reply. What WOULD be a better insulator other than plywood then ?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Plastic
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Plastic
Ok...ive also heard ceramic is a good electrical insulator . I think ill replace the bit of plywood i used with ceramic or plastic of about 1/4" thickness. Thanks alot .
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Yes, ceramic will work, as will glass. You just want something that will not absorb water.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

No, it is not legal. Nothing you did was legal. You may even be subject to a fine for tampering with the POCO's meter. There is a chance that when/if the meter reader comes out and sees their tag missing they might shut you down either for tampering with their equipment or for altering listed equipment.

Aren't you glad you decided to do this on your own and not consult before you made the modifications?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
No, it is not legal. Nothing you did was legal. You may even be subject to a fine for tampering with the POCO's meter. There is a chance that when/if the meter reader comes out and sees their tag missing they might shut you down either for tampering with their equipment or for altering listed equipment.

Aren't you glad you decided to do this on your own and not consult before you made the modifications?
I considered all that before doing the modification. The Tag is still in place and the cut i made on the Tag wire is neatly inside the Screw that secures the Meter Door so it cant be seen. Futher, im willing to take a chance on repercussions .... although where i am in rural Florida the Authorities could care less if you launched a Bullistic Missle from your rooftop. My main concern is that it is SAFE by what i did ... and after i replace the bit of plywood with ceramic as an electrical insulator, it will be. If you choose to be non-hostile, can you tell me what else would make it unsafe in your opinion ?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

One more thing, now that you have installed a breaker at the pole, the panel in your dwelling is now a sub panel. Therefore, grounds and neutrals would have to be separated along with any neutral to ground bond.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
and after i replace the bit of plywood with ceramic as an electrical insulator, it will be. If you choose to be non-hostile, can you tell me what else would make it unsafe in your opinion ?
No it will not be safe. It may work, but it will not be safe.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
One more thing, now that you have installed a breaker at the pole, the panel in your dwelling is now a sub panel. Therefore, grounds and neutrals would have to be separated along with any neutral to ground bond.
1. Why the heck didnt they originally install a Main Breaker at the Pole so all the power for the dwelling could be conveniently shut off there , in case a hurricane would come and tear into the house ?

2. Why would grounds and nuetrals need to be seperated . I am curious . Please explain from a safety standpoint. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

Mobile home, indoor panel shouldve been a sub the entire time.

The correct way to do this is buy a UL listed Main Breaker Meter Combo panel
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
No it will not be safe. It may work, but it will not be safe.
I appreciate you responding as a Professional, but can i ask you to elaborate on the statements you are making ? I want to know the reasons why something is unsafe .
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDave View Post
1. Why the heck didnt they originally install a Main Breaker at the Pole so all the power for the dwelling could be conveniently shut off there , in case a hurricane would come and tear into the house ?

2. Why would grounds and nuetrals need to be seperated . I am curious . Please explain from a safety standpoint. Thanks.
1) I have no way of knowing. It may be that there are less than 6 breakers in the panel and no main is needed.

2) After rereading your OP, if all the branch circuits for the dwelling originate from the panel you installed that main in, you would not need to separate them.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
Mobile home, indoor panel shouldve been a sub the entire time.

The correct way to do this is buy a UL listed Main Breaker Meter Combo panel
The indoor panel WAS always a Sub to the Pole Panel , right ?
For safety sake, i wanted a Main shut off at the Pole in case a Hurricane comes in and destroys part of the dwelling including the electrical therein. Im ticked that it wasnt done this way from the start.

Advertisement