Did I Mount Outdoor Light Fixture Correctly? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Did I mount outdoor light fixture correctly?

I just moved in my first house, and the outdoor light near the front door was broken.

I went ahead and replaced it with a new fixture, which I've done in the past but this time I got a bit stuck.

First, I removed the old fixture and "mounting bar" from the junction box. Next I installed a new "round" mounting bracket to the box.

I was confused with the ground wire. The OLD fixture had black and white wires. The bare ground wire coming from the wall was screwed to the metal junction box ground screw (not any brackets).

The NEW fixture has black, white, and bare ground. So I followed the directions and I did black to black, white to white, and I removed the ground that was screwed into the junction box and screwed it into the new bracket's ground screw. With the slack coming after the screw, I wire capped it to the ground wire of the fixture. So now it goes wall wire bare ground --> screwed to bracket ground --> capped to fixtures bare ground wire. Is this correct or should I have left it on the metal junction box.

Lastly one more thing, there are two long screws coming out of the bracket. These are the screws that the light mounts to the wall with. They are too long, the caps do not go all the way down. Did I do something wrong or does this happen sometimes? Can I just use my dremel tool to cut them shorter? Is that bad?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Devg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I installed a new "round" mounting bracket to the box.
Is there a green ground screw on the round bracket?.Is There a ground wire going out of light? If so connect it to the ground screw on bracket leave enough wire to tie onto the grounds in the box.Can
Code:
 I just use my dremel tool to cut them shorter? Is that bad?
I have a tool that cuts them not sure on dremel also make sure you DONT cut them to short I have done that myself

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
Is there a green ground screw on the round bracket?.Is There a ground wire going out of light? If so connect it to the ground screw on bracket leave enough wire to tie onto the grounds in the box.Can
Code:
 I just use my dremel tool to cut them shorter? Is that bad?
I have a tool that cuts them not sure on dremel also make sure you DONT cut them to short I have done that myself
...How bout using a pair of pliers. (which cut like butter through a 6-32 or 8-32 mounting screw like a knife through butter.) (Now more than ever) Don't Drink and Drive!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 08-15-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Typographical error (Typo)
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
...How bout using a pair of pliers. (which cut like butter through a 6-32 or 8-32 mounting screw like a knife through butter.) (Now more than ever) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
Try rethreading after cuting with pliers (the right tools for the job is what to go with, but forgot its a DIY chatroom)

Last edited by 300zx; 08-16-2009 at 01:19 PM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devg View Post

Lastly one more thing, there are two long screws coming out of the bracket. These are the screws that the light mounts to the wall with. They are too long, the caps do not go all the way down. Did I do something wrong or does this happen sometimes? Can I just use my dremel tool to cut them shorter? Is that bad?

Thanks!
Just turn these two screws clock wise (in) until they are the correct length. You do have them in the threaded holes? Thats where they go, so you can adjust them. They do not go in the elongated curved slots. They must be in the threaded holes provided.

Your grounding sounds fine to me the way it is. But since you have to go back in to adjust your mounting screws you might as well put the ground wire back on the box where it was and put the one from the fixture on the same screw.

Last edited by J. V.; 08-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote