DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Device Box Size For GFCI

23K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jbfan 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Is there a minimum device box size for GFCI's? I have an old house and the device box is damn small - so small I almost have to smash with my hand to get the GFCI to fix in the box. I want to replace the box with a larger size so the GFCi fits nice and the conductors are not crushed/smashed as well.

Thanking you in advance.....

#2 ·
Hey All,

Is there a minimum device box size for GFCI's? I have an old house and the device box is damn small - so small I almost have to smash with my hand to get the GFCI to fix in the box. I want to replace the box with a larger size so the GFCi fits nice and the conductors are not crushed/smashed as well.

Thanking you in advance.....

No, but if the box is way to small use a gfci breaker. Or replace the box with more cubic space.

#4 · (Edited)
My local Code people said a GFI does not require a larger box, but I had the same problem as you.

Logically, a bulky GFI seems to violate single gang box fill requirements if box fill is based on
free air circulation within the box and
current through the wires in the box and
not wanting to damage conductor insulation.

Before you buy the Old Work box, check if you have 3-1/2" depth or 2-1/2" depth between drywall surfaces. Some interior partitions use 2x3s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.