Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Detatched building..bonding...panels, etc

We have an in ground pool (since 98).
In our main 200 amp service, there is a 40 amp feeder going to a 60 amp disconnect on a post outside the pool area (where the pump, filters, etc are located). That goes to a small sub panel with 3 active circuits.

We just built a new pool house (a small shed basically) about 3 feet away from that post with the elect. stuff on it. We're going to pull one 15 amp circuit for some lights to the inside. Sch. 40 PVC Conduit.

The question. Since the power is coming from the existing pool equipment, and since it is a detached structure, code requires a disconnect at the building. Is 3 feet away close enough or would an inspector probably want a disconnect inside? If so, and I have to put a metal disconnect box inside, does it have to be bonded to the other pool equipment?

I have older code books, and don't have much current update on it. Please help. Thanks.

Blah067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah067 View Post
We have an in ground pool (since 98).
In our main 200 amp service, there is a 40 amp feeder going to a 60 amp disconnect on a post outside the pool area (where the pump, filters, etc are located). That goes to a small sub panel with 3 active circuits.

We just built a new pool house (a small shed basically) about 3 feet away from that post with the elect. stuff on it. We're going to pull one 15 amp circuit for some lights to the inside. Sch. 40 PVC Conduit.

The question. Since the power is coming from the existing pool equipment, and since it is a detached structure, code requires a disconnect at the building. Is 3 feet away close enough or would an inspector probably want a disconnect inside? If so, and I have to put a metal disconnect box inside, does it have to be bonded to the other pool equipment?

I have older code books, and don't have much current update on it. Please help. Thanks.
I do not think you need a disconnect. Unless it is a local ordinance. You already have a 60 amp disco that will shut off everything correct? You say you have a sub panel with 3 active circuits. If you have room for another breaker you could use this to feed the shed. Either with a GFCI breaker or receptacle.

Ps....Make sure you pull a ground wire. 3 wires total.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah067 View Post

Since the disconnect is to be located nearest point of entrance of the conductors, either inside or outside the structure, IMO, you need a disconnect at that building, but in your situation, a simple 15a snap switch will suffice.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

Great! Thanks!

Umm, so, if I do put a disconnect, can it be a light switch where the UF enters the hut?

Yes, I do have several open spaces in the panel, this isn't an issue.
Regarding the GFCI comment, code doesn't state I have to have any GFCI's, plus outlets aren't even allowed within 10 foot of the walls of the pool (in my instance, theres a ton of exceptions).
So I don't think I'll be installing any of those.

Still wondering about bonding a metal box inside the hut, per all the 680 pool regulations in the code?

Thanks again.
Blah067 is offline   Reply With Quote