DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Detached garage setup - Switch loop setup

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chris75 
#1 ·
HI;

We are going to run the service out to the detached garage soon. In the garage, I plan to install a 60A service disconnected prior to a mlo. Garage is fed by PVC, which will transition to EMT in the garage, the entire garage will be EMT (May use some Flex ENT for attic).

I will have a switch loop between the house and the garage. Would the best way to run the switch loop be to have a J-box right where the service enters the garage, and run the switch loop off of the j-box? Otherwise, the switch loop would have to pass through the service disconnect and the panel.

This is what I am thinking of doing, Does this look like a good approach or would something else work better?

Thank You,
Jamie

See less See more
#2 ·
Jamie, You can run the switch loop with the feeder if you want to. I was going to question your j-box until I realized why you put it there.
Just run the switch loop in the same conduit as the feeder, pass through the disco and into or pass through the panel.

Why the 10x10 pull box (J-Box) in the garage? Since you are only penetrating it with 1/2" conduit, you can use regular 1900 boxes instead. Just more of them. Of course it's compliant, but you can save a few bucks using 1900's instead. You need a few for switches and recepts anyway.

#3 ·
Hi;
Thanks for responding. Having the larger pull box with a single drop to the panel was just something I thought of to make things easier, just bring power from the panel up via one conduit (just a couple circuits so no problem with capicity or derating) then branch out from there to the switches, lights, etc. I think 4x4 even with a box extension would push capacity due to switch bank connections, but I could pass most of those through without a junction, so that would save space...

Having one large J-box (or multiple for a larger panel) on the ceiling above a panel, was really just an organization issue. I was thinking it would lend to a easier install if I didn't have so many runs back to the panel, and could eliminate up to 180degrees of bends in my first 10' or so from the panel. Saving the 180degrees of bends there would make alot of runs easier. Not really a big issue with the garage, since it is a small setup, but I wish I had done something more like this in the house.

When you run emt from a panel, do you tend to make some larger j-boxes centrally located or do you run the emt more directly towards where it is needed and tap off of it as you are able to?

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.