DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Detached garage adding a 3 way switch.

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Slatherd 
#1 ·
I need you to dummy this down as much as possible. Please try not to make fun of me to bad. There is no power running to these now. I just left them up so I could take pics of them.

I got 3 switches that I want to operate my garage lights. My main switch is in the back of the garage by the door. It's a 3 way. My other switch is inside the house. It's also a 3 way. My 3rd switch I would like to add would be put in the front of the garage by the front door. this is also a 3 way.

I ran 14/3 cable from the switch in the back of the garage to the front switch and wired it up. I believe I did it correctly. Problem is when I flip the switches (not the one inside the house) the lights flicker. When I put either switch half way, (pointing straight out) the lights go out. Needless to say this isn't correct.

The wire I ran from the rear switch has 3 wires, red, black, white and ground. Do I need to go up to 4 way switches? Can I still use the 3 way wire and make this work? I'd hate to add another wire.

Here are some pics:

This is the front switch (the new one)

This is a second shot of the same switch

Here is the rear switch. The one I added to.

Second rear switch shot

See less See more
#2 ·
Your rear switch is wired up wrong. You don't need to double up the connections, and you have the wrong switch installed there. You need to use a 4-way switch in that location. It will have 4 terminals, plus the ground screw. You will wire nut both black conductors together in that box. The red conductor from the black cable will go on one top terminal, and the white conductor from the black cable will go on the other top terminal. The red conductor from the white cable will go on one bottom terminal, and the white conductor from the white cable will go on the other bottom terminal.

Go out and get yourself a 4-way switch to put in there, and wire as I've described, and you'll be in good shape.

#4 · (Edited)
I think I understand what you are talking about. Sorry for the crudeness of this drawing. Unfortunatly I dont have a better one.

This is my understanding of what you mean.

Is this correct?

Also, I forgot to add. I assume once I get th wires correctly put in the light will go on inside the switch? These say they are lighted, but I have yet to see them come on.

#5 ·
Well, it worked just like you said. I wasn't able to find a lighted 4 way, but it works good.

Problem is, my inside switch only works when the new outside switched to the "on" position. when I flip it on, then the inside works for on and off.

What now?

Do I need to reverse the wires on the inside switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.