Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Share |

Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?

Hey guys.

I've nearly completed my first bathroom demo. It's a half bath, that we are rebuilding from the guts. I've attached some photos. As it regards my plans for lighting, I plan for hidden LED lighting strips behind ceiling moldings or beams, same behind a mirror that will float above sink wall, and possible pair of sconces. I would like these lights to be on 2 switches, one or both with dimmers. Any suggestions about how to handle this work? I can handle cutting the power, and starting from scratch with the wiring coming into the bathroom. From there I have no idea as to the correct connections to make. I'm assuming I'm going to be told to disconnect old switch box, and install new box (what type? proper way - code - to secure box in wall/stud?).

I've installed new switches, chandelier, ceiling fan, etc., but have never designed wiring map, layout, run wiring, etc.

Any tips/suggestions, ideas, etc.?
Attached Thumbnails
Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?-dscf6629.jpg   Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?-dscf6637.jpg   Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?-dscf6638.jpg   Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?-dscf6649.jpg   Demo'd Half-Bath, Pics Attached, Any Electrical?-dscf6624.jpg  

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

That old wiring does not look like it is grounded. If it is not it should not be extended and new cables should be run back to the panel.

You will also need a 20 amp circuit to power the receptacle within 3' of the sink basin.

You could run all the lighting and receptacle off of one 20 amp circuit if it does not serve any other room.

99altrade (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I will post a few more pics close up behind that switch area to determine and check for wire ground. There is a ground, just not sure if it's coming from the wire or improvised from the box. Will check.

Any other comments guys?

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #4

Since the walls are open,I would reterminate everything to code.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #5

OT for an electrical question, but you should probably install some foam board for insulation against that cinder block.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to operagost For This Useful Post:
99altrade (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
OT for an electrical question, but you should probably install some foam board for insulation against that cinder block.
Thanks for the reply. OT away! I also posted in construction thread a bunch more photos under similar title "demo'd half...", these photos above are the electrical related.

Ground

Probably also on the electrical note, I have not yet been able to see if that ground comes from the wiring that you see go across and diagonal down and across the stud. That ground wire goes from the back of the switch box across a few studs, hung between studs and nail heads, then wraps a corner, behind sink area and wraps around plumbing piping and ends around there. I'm assuming that's their ground?

Insulation - OT

That was a question I had on the construction thread. The insulation you see in those stud walls is ancient and is coming out and will be replaced. What method and sort of insulation do you recommend to use there? R#? Faced/Unfaced/Vapor Barier/Retarder? It's an exterior wall, and on the upper outside portion I believe it is wood, sheathed, etc., The wall above the concrete will probably be covered in green drywall and then painted.

The concrete portion that you refer to is 2x4's laid flat against it now, connected to a 2x6 ledge that runs across atop the concrete foundation. I will rebuild that frame around the concrete with a new 2x6 ledge over it and new 2x4's laid flat against it. What is the proper way to insulate that area? Just plop in the highest R XPS foam board insulation in there between each 2x4 and cover with my green drywall? Also, can I double up the 3/4" inch foam board in there given a 1.75" thick cavity?

I know green drywall is not necessary everywhere but I don't mind spending an extra 20 bucks all around the room to have green instead of white.

If I'm asking too many questions feel free to gloss over, but any help and advice is much appreciated!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Where are you located? Insulation recommendations based on location typically.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

I'm located on Long Island, NY. Typical winter gets to lows of teens in Dec/Jan, and summers can get pretty humid up to 80/90's typical high end.

The home is on a corner, and this exterior wall is somewhat behind side of home, gets good light during the day but no crazy direct sun, lots of cold - coldest darkest side of house, with a neighbor's home 15' or so across the side path. Exposure of this wall faces west.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Where are you located? Insulation recommendations based on location typically.