Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Dehumidifier humidistat control

I have a 15 year old dehumidifier and it would appear that the humidistat control has gone bad because the thing no longer shuts off, even turned all the way down.

The replacement part is over $60 and I don't want to spend that kind of money to fix an old dehumidifier.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...303296823/3569

Would any old replacement humidistat do the trick as long as it's rated for 120V? It's basically just an SPST switch housed in a humidity sensor. I found one on eBay for under $17 and although it isn't made to perfectly fit, I can find a way to make it work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-Group-Ad...item19d2a91041

Thanks
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Seriously, throw any 15 year old appliance away and buy something more eco friendly....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

It's only used in my sawdust infested workshop during humid days so I am not looking to shell out for something new for such limited use. It's just to keep the tools from rusting.

Right now it has 2 settings....on or unplugged.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
It's only used in my sawdust infested workshop during humid days so I am not looking to shell out for something new for such limited use. It's just to keep the tools from rusting.

Right now it has 2 settings....on or unplugged.
You can pick up a new dehumidifer for 150 bucks, with the money and time you spend reinventing the wheel for your old one to work, never mind the cost of running something so inefficient, its an easy decision.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

If you are adamant about keeping your old one, then just pick up a low voltage transformer, a rib relay, and a low voltage dehumidistat, and use that to turn a receptacle on and off....

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Wire around the stat and let it run fill time. Cheap!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

It already runs full time, until the bucket is full. I don't go into the shop much in summer so if it fills up and shuts off and then we get a very humid day I could have rusty tools.

I have been trying to check it almost daily but it's a pain because some days it doesn't need to run and others it does and some days where it should be running the bucket is already full and it's up to 70% humidity.

I figure if I can fix it for under $20 that would be worth it.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
It already runs full time, until the bucket is full. I don't go into the shop much in summer so if it fills up and shuts off and then we get a very humid day I could have rusty tools.

I have been trying to check it almost daily but it's a pain because some days it doesn't need to run and others it does and some days where it should be running the bucket is already full and it's up to 70% humidity.

I figure if I can fix it for under $20 that would be worth it.
You are not going to fix it for under 20 bucks...

Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

So what you are saying is the humidistat from another dehumidifier with the same voltage rating would likely not be compatible?

How different can they be? It's just a SPST switch triggered by the humidity level is it not?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

What im saying is, the cost of running this 15 year old appliance, is going to cost more than a new unit.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Seriously, throw any 15 year old appliance away and buy something more eco friendly....
That's pretty Eco un friendly to throw away a working appliance. There won't be much energy savings on a dehumidifier. Especially at the ultra cheap price point. Refrigerators and freezers gain efficiency by better insulation, variable speed compressors, optimized defrost, etc. And they cost $1000. You're not going to get much efficiency in a $150 dehumidifier.

To the original question I'd imagine as long as you can make it fit as long as the voltages and amp ratings are compatible it will work.
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote