DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   "Defective Ground" after getting new digital meter (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/defective-ground-after-getting-new-digital-meter-169607/)

ssi6 01-20-2013 11:24 AM

"Defective Ground" after getting new digital meter
 
Hi all. New here....I was using a Fry Daddy cooker on my back porch last night and after letting it heat up for 10 minutes like always, I went to use it and it seemed like it had lost electrical power. I plug it in with an extension cord to an outdoor outlet and have for many years (maybe 6 times a year?)

Now this may not be related to my problem....maybe the Fry Daddy is just worn out. But I went and got my plug-in outlet tester and checked the outlet and got a "defective ground" result. So I started testing outlets in the house and got the same result on every one I tested. About a week ago the power company came and replaced my old meter with one of the new digital ones. Could that have anything to do with this? The home was built as a spec house by the builder and is 12 years old. Never had any problems until now.

Thanks in advance.

joed 01-20-2013 12:01 PM

Defective ground will not cause the Fry daddy to not work. An open neutral will cause the problem. The defective ground could be the result of the meter change.

k_buz 01-20-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 1097810)
Defective ground will not cause the Fry daddy to not work. An open neutral will cause the problem. The defective ground could be the result of the meter change.

I haven't done much research on this so I am curious how the meter change would have any affect on the grounding.

Stubbie 01-20-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssi6 (Post 1097781)
Hi all. New here....I was using a Fry Daddy cooker on my back porch last night and after letting it heat up for 10 minutes like always, I went to use it and it seemed like it had lost electrical power. I plug it in with an extension cord to an outdoor outlet and have for many years (maybe 6 times a year?)

Now this may not be related to my problem....maybe the Fry Daddy is just worn out. But I went and got my plug-in outlet tester and checked the outlet and got a "defective ground" result. So I started testing outlets in the house and got the same result on every one I tested. About a week ago the power company came and replaced my old meter with one of the new digital ones. Could that have anything to do with this? The home was built as a spec house by the builder and is 12 years old. Never had any problems until now.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried plugging something else into the outlet to see if it works, lamp, electric drill, radio ... ?

If nothing else works and this is an outdoor outlet you have big odds that it is a gfci or is gfci protected and the gfci has tripped. Find the gfci and reset it.

joed 01-20-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 1097840)
I haven't done much research on this so I am curious how the meter change would have any affect on the grounding.

Generally pulling and changing the meter should not. However if they happen to bond the neutral and ground at the meter in this location then maybe somehow the bond got removed. Maybe it shouldn't have been bonded in the meter and the installer removed the bond thinking it was already done in the panel.

Maybe it is a coincidence and i t has nothing to do with the meter. The first thing to do would be to open and inspect the panel. Since it seems to be the whole house I suspect the main bond connection.

ssi6 01-21-2013 10:23 AM

All outlets work fine. I just worry this is a safety issue now.

I just called the power company and they are going to have someone come out or call me. They said too the meter change shouldn't have caused this but it had to. Nothing else has changed.

Thanks all. I will update whenever they come.

ssi6 01-21-2013 03:03 PM

False alarm I suppose. I remembered this tester I have (A. W. Sperry "Stop Shock") was probably 10 years old. Although I've taken good care of it and it still looks new, I wondered if it was bad. So I ran up to Lowe's and picked up another one. When I got home, the power company was here. He checked the new meter setup and said it was good. So I opened the new tester and tried it and sure enough, I got "Correct" readings on this one. So I guess my old one is bad.

I'm surprised it could give incorrect readings like that. It's just a plastic shell with 3 led's and a few wires.

Thanks for the help all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved