Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dedicated outlet/receptacle

Is it okay to have a dedicated receptacle on a non-dedicated circuit? I have a dedicated receptacle set up for a dehumidifier in a basement and have run it off of a split from power that supplies lights for a storage closet. Is that okay or do I need to have the dedicated receptacle on a dedicated circuit?

drtpdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Technically, you need a dedicated recp. on a dedicated circuit. How hard is it to get back to the panel?

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
remodeling pro

BY definition, you cannot have a dedicated receptacle on a shared circuit. That is an oxymoron, like military intelligence
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Union Electrician

As troubleseeker has said, a dedicated outlet is one outlet supplied by one circuit. That said, as long as the dehumidifier doesn't exceed the ampacity of the circuit, you can connect it to the storage light circuit.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

I am guessing that you got the need for the dedicated rec from the manufactures reccomendations in the instructions.

As stated. If the circuiit can handle the amps you will be fine.

So how to tell. Add the wattage of everything on the circuit. Do not count recs that have nothing plugged into them. Divide the wattage by 120 and if you have less than 12 amps on a 15 amp breaker, or 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker, you are fine.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

Thanks to all who posted replies. The circuit will be fine in terms of both amps and wattage. The reason I asked is that the electrician who did the wiring when the house was built (2005) put in a single/dedicated receptacle on a circuit with the basement lights and duplex receptacles. Why? Not sure so I figured it would be worth asking. It will be easy for me to get a line into the subpanel, so I'll do that just to be in line with conventional thought and practice.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Electrician philosopher

He would of failed his inspection if he did that here. That is assuming he got caught. You'll be fine.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
waiting for spring

Rewards Points: 150

drtpdee,

Are you refering to a single outlet? That doesn't make it "dedicated" as stated above, but I just wanted to clarify what type of recepticle you were refering to.
arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #9

I meant a single outlet, circular style for a single three-pronged plug. I have one set up for a freezer which is on a dedicated circuit and plan to leave it that way. The current circuit that the dehumidifier is on is the same one described in the earlier email - it's the one that was installed when the house was built, but when it kicks on, the lights dim significantly and the breaker has tripped at least once in the past. The lights, the single and dual receptacles described earlier are all on that same circuit. I added a single receptacle closer to the sump pit so that the dehumidifier can drain right into the sump pit and so that it would be on a circuit with lights for a storage closet rather than lights for the general lighting of the room. That way, when the dehumidifier kicks on, the breaker wouldn't trip causing the general lights to go out AND hopefully so that the general lights wouldn't dim. Does that change things?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtpdee View Post
I meant a single outlet, circular style for a single three-pronged plug. I have one set up for a freezer which is on a dedicated circuit and plan to leave it that way. The current circuit that the dehumidifier is on is the same one described in the earlier email - it's the one that was installed when the house was built, but when it kicks on, the lights dim significantly and the breaker has tripped at least once in the past. The lights, the single and dual receptacles described earlier are all on that same circuit. I added a single receptacle closer to the sump pit so that the dehumidifier can drain right into the sump pit and so that it would be on a circuit with lights for a storage closet rather than lights for the general lighting of the room. That way, when the dehumidifier kicks on, the breaker wouldn't trip causing the general lights to go out AND hopefully so that the general lights wouldn't dim. Does that change things?
No.
Just because a singlex receptacle was used, doesn't mean is is, or that it's supposed to be on a "dedicated" circuit. A singlex receptacle is simply that - a singlex.

Inspectors like to see singlexs in areas where a non-gfci protected receptacle is being provided for a specific utilization device in an area where GFCI protection is generally required for all convenience receptacles. It also helps the homeowner figure out which receptacle is for an a/c when one is provided on a separate circuit.

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote