Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

dedicated outlet for fridge

in my new kitchen layout- there is already an outlet where the new fridge will be going (It's just not a dedicated outlet)- the one that is currently there feeds other outlets in the room. So I'm assuming I can still use the box and outlet cutout that is there (I just need to rewire the outlet)- So am I correct in that I will need to install a new 15 or 20 amp breaker in the panel and- then just feed that outlet (and that outlet only?)- Basically it's a one wire run from panel to that outlet.

skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

If you already have a box in the wall then yes all you would need to do is run a new wire from your panel to that box. Depending on the condition of the wire, it may be possible to re-use the existing fridge plug feed and make the existing fridge plug a junction.

AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

A fridge does not require a dedicated circuit.
gregzoll (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

thanks jb- I just don't feel comfortable having other outlets in the same circuit as it is now- Who know what my kids will plug into the other outlets! So that is why I felt it better to isolate it and run one run back to the box- Especially since it's very close to where my breaker panel is and figured worth it
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234 View Post
thanks jb- I just don't feel comfortable having other outlets in the same circuit as it is now- Who know what my kids will plug into the other outlets! So that is why I felt it better to isolate it and run one run back to the box- Especially since it's very close to where my breaker panel is and figured worth it
For what it is worth it is a requirement in Canada to have a fridge on a dedicated circuit.
AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
A fridge does not require a dedicated circuit.
But it's a good idea, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
electures (10-03-2012), jbfan (10-02-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Electrician

There are code requirements for box fill. When you pull the receptacle out of the box look in the back with a flashlight. It will be stamped with a number, in cubic inches. If there is one 12-2 in the box that you plan to wire nut and push to the back, and you are pulling in one more for the dedicated circuit, the number cannot be less than 15.75. If there are two 12-2s that you wire nut and push to the back and the new circuit, the minimum is 20.25. Bigger is better. Too small? A box extension stamped with cubic inches can be added to bring the number up. Or, cut out the old box and install an "old work box" that is big enough. If you don't have a sawzall, they sell a little hack saw where just the blade sticks out a few inches. Slip that between the stud and the box and cut the two nails.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsparky View Post
There are code requirements for box fill. When you pull the receptacle out of the box look in the back with a flashlight. It will be stamped with a number, in cubic inches. If there is one 12-2 in the box that you plan to wire nut and push to the back, and you are pulling in one more for the dedicated circuit, the number cannot be less than 15.75. If there are two 12-2s that you wire nut and push to the back and the new circuit, the minimum is 20.25. Bigger is better. Too small? A box extension stamped with cubic inches can be added to bring the number up. Or, cut out the old box and install an "old work box" that is big enough. If you don't have a sawzall, they sell a little hack saw where just the blade sticks out a few inches. Slip that between the stud and the box and cut the two nails.
Or better yet, AND easier, just leave the existing box alone (or blank it off) and cut in a new box.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #9

thanks everyone- So a standard 15 amp breaker in the panel feeding the single outlet by the fridge should do it correct? (nothing else on the circuit)- I know I read a lot of talk about 20 amp outlet but that seems to be a bit much (I will check the new fridge specs)- Do I need any specific type of outlet- or just standard 15 amp?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234
thanks everyone- So a standard 15 amp breaker in the panel feeding the single outlet by the fridge should do it correct? (nothing else on the circuit)- I know I read a lot of talk about 20 amp outlet but that seems to be a bit much (I will check the new fridge specs)- Do I need any specific type of outlet- or just standard 15 amp?
Good to go!
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut2234 View Post
" The plug on the end of the refrigerator tells it all if it's a standard plug it will require 15amps, if it's a 20 amp plug(different configuration) it will need a 20 amp circuit and so on and so on 30 amp ex Dryer cord, 40/50 amp Range cord".