Dedicated Equipment Space For Subpanel? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dedicated equipment space for subpanel?

I've read in NEC 2008 part 110-26(f)(1)(a) that "panelboards .... located indoors must have an exclusive dedicated space (from the floor upward to 6 feet above the equipment) the width and depth (footprint) of the equipment." This means no pipes, ducts, etc. intruding into this "space", although suspended ceilings are ok.

I had planned on putting a subpanel adjacent to my existing service panelboard to accommodate additional circuits in my shop. Am I correct in assuming that my subpanel must also conform to the exclusive dedicated space rule? My original location planned for the subpanel has a heating duct running in the joist space above it. I will likely have to install the subpanel further away from the existing service panelboard so as to meet the exclusive dedicated space rule.

Also, I previously had free online access to the NEC. This no longer seems to be the case. Is there still a free site?

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Advertisement

WoodworkerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're correct in your understanding that panelboards require a dedicated space of 30" width and 36" depth in front of them. The working space measurement is taken off of the face of the panelboard, not the back. Therefore, I don't think that installation of a sub-panel next to another panel is in violation of the code. The working space isn't even required to be centered on the panelboard. The panelboard can be on one side of the working space or the other.

Here's a crude drawing showing three legal installations...
Attached Thumbnails
Dedicated equipment space for subpanel?-untitled.jpg  

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodworkerDave View Post
My original location planned for the subpanel has a heating duct running in the joist space above it. I will likely have to install the subpanel further away from the existing service panelboard so as to meet the exclusive dedicated space rule.
This code rule is for 6' or the structural ceiling, IMO, if the duct work is inbetween the joist, then your fine.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

Here's a couple code violation of the working space requirements...
Attached Thumbnails
Dedicated equipment space for subpanel?-untitled2.jpg  
Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
This code rule is for 6' or the structural ceiling, IMO, if the duct work is inbetween the joist, then your fine.
That can be an interpretive issue though. "Structural ceiling" is not defined. I worked in a city that considered the structural ceiling as the underside of the floor sheathing if the space was not finished. Not that I agree with that stance....

The best-case installation involves not having anything besides framing or wiring above the panel.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Electrician

Also wanted to point out that this goes for UNDER the panel as well.
Name:  110.26(F)(1)(a).jpg
Views: 910
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  110.26(A)(1).jpg
Views: 536
Size:  46.7 KB Name:  110.26(A)(2).jpg
Views: 527
Size:  58.0 KB

Last edited by chris75; 09-14-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Good points Chris & KC.

I don't have the '08 code avail to me today...just the '05...Is 110.26(F)(1)(b) Foreign Systems, still in the '08 ??
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Good points Chris & KC.

I don't have the '08 code avail to me today...just the '05...Is 110.26(F)(1)(b) Foreign Systems, still in the '08 ??

I dont have one either, but I can pretty much guarantee that it is.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Electrician

I thought so too, but wasn't sure. If that's the case the OP should be okay with his proposed idea, as (b) says foreign systems are okay as long as protection is installed to prevent damage....
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I just checked my 2008 NEC code book and yes that section is in the code book. It basically indicates that there can be foreign systems directly above the 6ft zone provided "protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks or breaks in such foreign systems."

I would interpret that to mean ventilation, water pipes, etc so long as they are higher than 6ft, and have adequate protection around them to avoid damage to the panel (ex: foam pipe wrap).
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I just checked my 2008 NEC code book and yes that section is in the code book. It basically indicates that there can be foreign systems directly above the 6ft zone provided "protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks or breaks in such foreign systems."

I would interpret that to mean ventilation, water pipes, etc so long as they are higher than 6ft, and have adequate protection around them to avoid damage to the panel (ex: foam pipe wrap).

To me that would mean some type of drip pan be installed over the panels.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Electrician

Pretty much..or some kind of guard...depends what the 'foreign system' is. A Mike Holt text book I have shows a drip pan in it's illustration...I'll check to see if I can find a web photo.

Also, my bad to my previous post. I missed the word 'dedicated' as in 'The area above the dedicated space'... I kept thinking I was missing something.

Advertisement