Decorative - Oversized Wall Plate? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Decorative - oversized wall plate?

Good morning;

I have been rewiring old receptacles in my 80 year old home, and very often, the receptacles are mounted in the baseboard. When I pull the old box out, I see that the wood where the screws were is split and will not hold screws for the new box.
I like to use the slightly larger plastic boxes, to hopefully grab better wood for the screws, but this doesn't always work.

I'm wondering if there is a plate that would mount over the old wood and cutout, which would extend well beyond the outlet cutout, allowing it to be secured to the wall/baseboard before the new box is placed. Then, the box would screw into it just as it would normally.
These plates would have to be somewhat decorative, considering that the edges will be seen.
This would make my life so much easier in this old house.

Thanks for your advice/help

Advertisement

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

If the baseboard is painted you could make your own panels from ” plywood that are first cut to the final size then cut out in the center to the size of the box. Before installation sand the edges, fill any voids with spackle, and paint same color as the baseboard.

Advertisement

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
If the baseboard is painted you could make your own panels from plywood that are first cut to the final size then cut out in the center to the size of the box. Before installation sand the edges, fill any voids with spackle, and paint same color as the baseboard.
I did think of doing that, but thought it would be easier if there were a pre-fab piece I could use.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote