Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Decommissioning old armored wire circuit

I am in the process of renovating a bedroom and I am replacing the wiring since the walls are removed.

Armored cable was originally run from a nearby bathroom and then to the bedrooms light fixture where it split--one to the bedroom light switch and then another line to a receptacle. That receptacle then ran under the floor and back into the room for a receptacle on the other side of the bedroom.

I ran two new AFCI 14/2 circuits for the bedroom (one for the lights and another for the receptacles.

The original wire from the bathroom originiated via the attic. I ran the still-live cable into a junction box in the attic and added a wire nut onto each wire (no ground wire exists). The junction is exposed.

I removed the cable from the switch to the light, and from the light to the receptacle. I now have two wires sticking out of the floor plates, which are connected to each other under the floor. I've tested every outlet and light in the house to verify that they didn't connect to the circuit I removed.

In regards to the two ends of the wire, I can't pull them out--they are two snug. Opening the ceiling below is not feasible at this time, but will be done at another time.

I can run the ends of the wires into new double receptacles and terminate them with wire nuts. I'll use an oversize receptacle box since I'll be running the new wire to the same boxes.

Is this a sound plan?

Can I place a single receptacle plate opening on the double box (one that covers both sides of the receptacle but has one centered opening), or must I use a double plate with just a single opening?

Should I wire-nut the old black and white wires together so that if they are somehow still connected it will trip the breaker if someone tries to reactivate the circuit?

Any advice is appreciated.

toddmanqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?
You can abondon wire in place if it is too hard to get out & you won't use it again
Cut off as much as you can & mark it if you can
All wire that is LIVE must end in a junction box, abondoned wire does not have too
If you think you might re-use the wire then put it into a junction box

You can use a double gang with a single face plate
It's done all the time when you need to meet box fix or w/dimmers for more room

Do not wire nut the black & white together, sparks could cause a fire -not likely, but it happens

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

I'm in NY state.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #4

I was told by a home depot employee that once it's disconnected from the circuit box, it is effectively nothing--just wire. And it doesn't need to be placed in a junction box.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, as long as the wire is fully disconnected from both ends & out of the junction boxes it is just wire
Key is that it has to be disconnected at both ends
Fully removed from house wiring connections
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanqa View Post
Should I wire-nut the old black and white wires together so that if they are somehow still connected it will trip the breaker if someone tries to reactivate the circuit?.
Absolutely positively not.

Do not use short circuits or breaker tripping as testing methods or verification or means of giving future do-it-yourselvers a heads up.

If you should trip a breaker or draw a big spark, do not try (apply power) again until you have actually found the problem. You can make up a test jig consisting of two test leads and a 60 watt incandescent lamp which can catch many different short circuit conditions without having to apply power directly. You "bridge" the two contacts or conductors or terminals in question using the lamp test leads rather than make a direct connection.

After you have isolated (disconnected both ends of) a section of armored cable and the cable is not suitable for future use, you can cut off the wire ends flush with the armor.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-04-2009 at 09:59 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Absolutely positively not.

Do not use short circuits or breaker tripping as testing methods or verification or means of giving future do-it-yourselvers a heads up.

If you should trip a breaker or draw a big spark, do not try (apply power) again until you have actually found the problem. You can make up a test jig consisting of two test leads and a 60 watt incandescent lamp which can catch many different short circuit conditions without having to apply power directly. You "bridge" the two contacts or conductors or terminals in question using the lamp test leads rather than make a direct connection.

After you have isolated (disconnected both ends of) a section of armored cable and you want to decommission it, you can cut off the wire ends flush with the armor.
Did you see the Holmes on Holmes were the electrician did this?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armored cable, decommission, hidden, junction, wiring