Deadbolt Locked Indicator - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Deadbolt Locked indicator

I have a entry door in my garage. My wife wants me to install a deadbolt lock indicator light in the house... this will tell us if the door is deadbolt locked or not ( will install a indicator light in our kitchen). Do they sell already made units that do this? i could rig one with a 12volt power supply and a proximity sensor.. but would like to just get a ready made kit and throw it in.

thanks

Advertisement

luweee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,070

There are hundreds os different types of keyed and keyless 'Deadbolt Locks'.

A proximity sensor like in a burglar alarm or automatic closet door light will only indicate an open door or closed door condition.
Is this what you want or are you looking to see whether or not the lock is actually set? If so what type of proximity sensor do you propose to use?

Advertisement

PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 796

Howzabout using the dead bolt it self as a switch? Use a 6 volt d.c. battery powered circuit to a small indicator light. When the bolt is closed the light will light.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

I don't know of any ready-to-install units for this purpose; you would have to jury-rig something. You could fish Romex (or bell wire) for the low voltage circuit from a spot near the door all the way to where you want the indicator light. Also to a spot near a receptacle for a plug in transformer (wall wart) or to the panel for a hard wired transformer.

I suggest not using the doorbell transformer although you could install another transformer next to it. With the indicator light on, the doorbell transformer might not be able to deliver enough power to ring the doorbell.

The deadbolt itself may or may not make good enough contact to be the switch although the catch could be fitted with a phosphor bronze or similar springy flap for contact purposes.

OT: Failsafe seat belts for amusement rides or automobiles can be had by using the belt itself to complete a low voltage circuit with the catch being the other switch contact.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-13-2010 at 09:01 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

You'd likely have to open the wall a little bit, but you could pretty easily drill a hole through the back of bolt-hole in the door jam, and install a simple plunger-type switch, wired between some kind of power supply and a small indicator light.

Also see this thread on another forum for some ideas: http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=18099.0

Or this product, although the price is unbelievable... http://www.basshome.com/product_15546_detailed.htm
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

We have similar sensors in ATMs that I service.

Most of the use a Reid type switch so that you don't have to worry about them wearing out as you would with a plunger type switch.
tdeg807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

A microswitch would be unsightly, but you might use a reed switch [old VCRs have these in several places] on the striker plate. You may want to AND it with a timer so it only alarms if the door is left unlocked at night. I.e.,
IF
door unbolted
AND
nightime
THEN alarm.

Wire it with #30 AWG wirewrap wire. This stuff is almost invisible. Hosfelt.com and other places has it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-13-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote