Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
walt1122

Rewards Points: 194

Dead outlet, what is easiest way to trace??

Hi all, outside outlet was working fine till yesterday. Today nothing!! so I:

1. Put in probe tester and no beep beep.
2. Tried the little three light tester you plug into the outlet and it shows no lights, legend on it says that means "open hot".
3. Removed outlet cover, removed outlet and not "hot" at screws. It is the end of a run so nothing after it.
4. It is a regular outlet although it says it is GFIC protected and I have tried all the GFIC's I can see including the ones in the service panel
4. None of the other lights, circuits acting up and I have turned off all the circuit breakers at the box and turned them back on.

Nothing seems to help.

So, any suggestions?

Wire is buried in wall and hard to trace.

Thanks

Walt

Last edited by walt1122; 08-29-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: errors
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

if you have checked for tripped GFI somewhere near the dead outlet and didn't find anything you might have a bad connection in another box somewhere. could be a bad GFI. has any work been done recently in that area?

Last edited by DannyT; 08-29-2011 at 02:11 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,446

I would guess you missed one GFI.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Quote:
I have tried all the GFIC's I can see
Try the ones you can't see. Look behind things in the garage, other locations outside, in closets, bathroom, crawlspace.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
walt1122

Hi DannyT, no electrical work done for month.

Jim Port, possible but I looked everywhere in this small apartment and have not found any that are not working properly. PLUS, this is the end of a circuit! If there is a ground fault I missed wouldn't there be some thing else on this circuit that would be also not working along the way to this end outlet? It is a 20A so I'm guessing it is not a single circuit I'm not finding any other outlet/switch that is acting up and thinking I need to trace back to the box to see what circuit is acting up. If I can find out where the wire is coming from I should be able to check where the problem starts. I would rather not have to open every outlet/ switch to see where the problem lies. So do I have to do some kind of continuity to go from the white at the outlet back to the neutral bar at the service panel.

HouseHelper, you are probably right and I will keep looking but just suppose there is a problem how would I go about finding where the wire is coming from.

thanks

Walt
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

i would check the boxes that the work was done in first.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
walt1122

thanks but, as I mentioned in the first post that was where I started and there is NO power on the black wire coming in. So it is dead at the screw where the outlet and box meet and I need to find some way to get to where ever the wire is coming from to see why there is no power. If everything I'm finding appears right then I wonder if there is just a lose wire a break or a defective ground fault that shows that it is working at the outlet but not sending voltage out to this outlet. It is that problem area that I wish to figure out how to find. Like those circuit checkers that you put on the line to trace back to the box what circuit it is in the box. I need something like that except I thought they are used on the black line and I believe there is a problem with the black line so it won't work in this case.

thanks

Walt