Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dead circuit no tripped breaker

Ok, I was watching TV the other night and all of my electronics are in a surge protector/battery unit. All of a sudden, my power on that outlet went out. I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I then pushed the reset button on the surge protector and noticed a flash of blue light near one of my lights. Afterward, I checked all of my receptacles with a tester and found no power to any of them. Suspecting a bad connection, I replaced all of the receptacles on the circuit as well as all of the breakers. to no avail. Also, I have tested the light sockets on the circuit with no luck as well. I checked my surge protector, and noticed that multiple outlets on it had been fried. I checked because I could smell burnt componentry in the unit. So far, I have not been able to get power back to the circuit with all that I have done. Any help would be appreciated.

jakobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobot View Post
Ok, I was watching TV the other night and all of my electronics are in a surge protector/battery unit. All of a sudden, my power on that outlet went out. I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I then pushed the reset button on the surge protector and noticed a flash of blue light near one of my lights. Afterward, I checked all of my receptacles with a tester and found no power to any of them. Suspecting a bad connection, I replaced all of the receptacles on the circuit as well as all of the breakers. to no avail. Also, I have tested the light sockets on the circuit with no luck as well. I checked my surge protector, and noticed that multiple outlets on it had been fried. I checked because I could smell burnt componentry in the unit. So far, I have not been able to get power back to the circuit with all that I have done. Any help would be appreciated.
If breaker is new and recepts are new, then their must be a break in the wire at some point, between breaker and j-box or where ever the line goes first. I would start off doing a continuity test, YOU MUST DO THIS WITH POWER OFF. Get a power meter set it to ohms, test and you will find your problem.

Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Has a wire worked loose at the box? Sometimes it can be something so simple.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

the part about flash of blue light isn't a good sign. this could be a sign of a short. since it didn't trip the breaker it could be the hot seperated at a junction or somewhere in the wall. i would leave the breaker off for that circuit until you figure out what is going on.

The flash of blue light could be arcing. Where exatly did it come from?
smeric28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

First step is to disconnect and throw away your surge protector. These are not repairable.

Next step is to find the OPEN circuit, as has been outlined in the posts above.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like the hot wire burnt off a terminal somewhere or an open neutral.

Take your time and start looking you'll find it it can't be to far away.

Just try to break it down in it's simplest term use pencil and paper or something to keep track of all the spots you checked.

Good Luck and stay safe.

OH! Don't forget to figure out what the cause was or it will most likely happen again.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote