De-activate 220v Electric Stove Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

de-activate 220v electric stove outlet

Hello everyone,

I am having a natural gas line installed to the stove. The plumber told me (I believe he said by code) that the 220v line for the old electric stove needs to be de-activated, and a 110v line needs to be added.

My question is, can the 220v line be changed to a 110v and the breaker at the box changed to a 15 or 20 amp instead? Or do I need the 220v line pulled out from the box and taken out, and then fish a new 110v line to the location?

Thanks!

Advertisement

6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

There is no national code that says you must take the old 240V outlet out, but you likely will need to run a new 120V line.

Advertisement

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

You should be able to switch the breaker out to a 15 or 20A and use either red or black and white from the stove wire.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
Code05 (10-04-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
You should be able to switch the breaker out to a 15 or 20A and use either red or black and white from the stove wire.
+1

You will probably have to pigtail a short piece of smaller wire to fit in the breaker and the receptacle terminals.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

is your 240 plug a 4 prong or a 3 prong?
If a 4 prong, you already have 120v power going there. I'd just make up an adapter.

If it is a 3 prong (and 3 wires), you can re-use some of the wiring, but I'd keep it intact. Just flip that breaker to the off position and run a separate 120v outlet. There is no need for a dedicated line just to run the stove clock and spark the igniter.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help so far!

forresth, just to be sure I am understanding you correctly, I can just add a 120v circuit with separate receptacle onto the 240v line that's already there? How about the breaker? Should I change it to a 15amp?

The plumber is running a flex natural gas pipe to the stove location from the basement this wednessday. Should I just run a 14-3 line alongside the flex pipe? Or is this against code to run electrical lines alongside a gas line?

If I run a new line, to deactivate the 240v, is it ok to just turn off the breaker and cut the wires at the receptacle, wire nut the ends and just stuff it between the wall? Or maybe remove the breakers altogether.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

If you run a new circuit why don't you leave the stove plug where it is and do nothing with it, turn the breaker off if you want. Never know in the future you may want to go back to electric, or a future owner may want electric.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
Code05 (10-04-2011), SD515 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
Thanks for all the help so far!

forresth, just to be sure I am understanding you correctly, I can just add a 120v circuit with separate receptacle onto the 240v line that's already there? How about the breaker? Should I change it to a 15amp?

The plumber is running a flex natural gas pipe to the stove location from the basement this wednessday. Should I just run a 14-3 line alongside the flex pipe? Or is this against code to run electrical lines alongside a gas line?

If I run a new line, to deactivate the 240v, is it ok to just turn off the breaker and cut the wires at the receptacle, wire nut the ends and just stuff it between the wall? Or maybe remove the breakers altogether.

Thanks
does your plug look like this;
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...437-228155.jpg

If so, it is both a 240v and 120v receptacle. I don't know if it is code (probably not), but I'd wire a standard 120v receptacle piggy backed onto it; maybe swap your breaker to to something smaller for safety, but it would be hard to wire in a 6awg wire into a 20 amp breaker. Its just too thick of a wire.

If its one of these;
http://thumbs.imagekind.com/member/6...fdb1f7ec59.jpg
I wouldn't mess with it. you can still get 110v out of it, but not 110 and a separate ground.

You must have another outlet circuit you can add another box to somewhere nearby. That is what I'd tie into. Like I said, no need to run a whole new circuit just for a gas stove.

Whatever you do, don't ruin your existing circuit. I don't see what you'd get for your troubles and you may want an electric stove down the line, or maybe the next owner of your home will. Just trip the breaker and slap some duct tape over the receptacle and to hold the circuit open in the breaker if you are paranoid.

Sounds like you should be calling in an electrician because you don't really know what is involved. assuming that is the case, I can't imagine taking shortcuts with your existing wires would really save you all that much money, and I'd hope a decent electrician would have more professional pride than to leave a hack-job in his wake.

If you do bring in a pro, and you have the 3 prong outlet, you might have them add an external ground wire to the the circuit and upgrade the plug to the 4 prong while he adds in a separate 110 volt outlet in the area. The 4 prongs are the new standard.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Try one of these;

http://www.reliableparts.ca/product/...ssories-467044

Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
That is such an amazing idea! If only they made one with a duplex receptacle, and dual 20A fuses. That would be great for temporary power for remodeling and such.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
That is such an amazing idea! If only they made one with a duplex receptacle, and dual 20A fuses. That would be great for temporary power for remodeling and such.
Use a fused power strip with it.

Need to add , that adapter is only for 4 wire range receptacles.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Use a fused power strip with it.

Need to add , that adapter is only for 4 wire range receptacles.
That adapter has a 15A fuse in it, and only uses one of the two legs. That's fine for a gas range, but not great for temp power. I would want two separate 20A circuits on opposite legs.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
That adapter has a 15A fuse in it, and only uses one of the two legs. That's fine for a gas range, but not great for temp power. I would want two separate 20A circuits on opposite legs.
Looks like a business opportunity for you
Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Looks like a business opportunity for you
they are out there already, they just cost a fortune.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #15

Is that adapter for the 4 prong style? Do they make them for 3 prong? I will check tonight to see what mine is.

If I use one of those adapters, is it safe to have it this way long term? Or is this more of a short term fix until I get a cable routed?

Do they sell such adapters at home depot/lowes?

Thanks

Advertisement