DC Voltage Regulator - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DC Voltage Regulator

Hello all,

I have a power inverter that is 1500 watt continuous, 3000 watt surge. The input voltage must remain between 10 and 15 volts DC. I was intending on using it as a stand alone with a car battery as the power source. However, one battery alone will not maintain the necessary power that I need. So, here is what I want to do: Connect 2 batteries in series and use a voltage regulator with 24v IN and 12v Out. Ah, but I also need to find something that has the proper watt output as well. I was hoping someone knows where to find what I am looking for.

Here is what I found so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Conver...-/180463511485

- no good because 100 watt ouput is no where near enough

Ah, I can't find the other two links I was at earlier. I appreciate any help with this. Thanks for reading my post.

Advertisement

ElectEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

DC Voltage Regulator

Car batteries are a poor choice for heavy inverter use. They're designed for high current for a short duration. I would at a minimum use a marine deep cycle or two.

What you're trying to do wont work... You want more capacity, not voltage. The voltage is dropping because the battery can't sustain the current draw of the inverter. So you need more current storage.

Despite using car batteries, wiring them in parallel will double capacity and keep the same 12 volt rating. Such as: 2 car batteries, 35 amp/hr each, wired in series = 24 volts @ 35 amp/hr.
The same batteries wired in parallel will give you 12 Volts @ 70 amp/hr. Same amount of energy storage, but more useful to you as you require a 12 volt input for your inverter.

Be careful! Dead shorting a battery is NOT a fun experience. If you're not sure or not comfortable messing around with storage batteries, then don't. Make sure your cables are sized for the max current draw (my 2kW inverter runs off of 00 gauge cables), and always always fuse at the source.

Advertisement

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
ElectEnthusiast (09-15-2012), mpoulton (09-16-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,078

DC Voltage Regulator

As noted, connecting the batteries in parallel is far better than series.

Even if you could find a regulator that could handle the current, you'd waste a bunch of power in heat that the regulator would produce.

You can connect as many batteries in parallel as you want, provided they are all the same voltage.

Though it's generally not the best idea, you can also connect batteries in parallel if they are the same voltage but different capacities.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
Marqed97 (09-15-2012)