DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

dayton model 3k617c wiring

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  micromind 
#1 · (Edited)
hi, i have a dayton elctric motor, model 3k617c that i need help with the wiring on, it can be wired for either 220 or 120 and can be reversed. the wiring diagram for the 120 side is unreadable and i was hoping someone would be able to help me with a diagram or instructions on the correct wiring of the motor for 120.
thanks, bob

#3 ·
How many wires does it have? Are they numbered? Is it a terminal board with jumpers? Does it have thermal protection?

The following is based on the motor having 7 leads (P1, P2, T2, T3, T4, T5, and T8). For 115 volts, connect the hot side of the incoming line to P1. P2, T3, and T5 are tied together; a yellow or orange wirenut will do. T2, T4, T8, and the neutral side of the incoming line are tied together. You'll likely need a yellow wirenut for this.

This will usually give standard rotation, defined as clockwise when you're looking at the back of the motor (with the shaft pointing away). To change rotation, interchange T5 and T8. (P2, T3, and T8 tie together, and T2, T4, T5 tie to the neutral).

The 230 volt connection is; P1 to one incoming line, P2 is not connected, T2, T3, and T5 are connected together, T4, T8, and the other incoming line are tied together. This also gives standard rotation, swap T5 and T8 to reverse.

If your motor does not have 7 numbered leads, write back. One of the other guys might beat me to the answer, that's OK.

Rob

#7 ·
On the diagram. For 220v it connect T2 T3 T8 together,and T4T5 together,make me confuse
If the motor has 6 leads, T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and T8, for 230 volts you'd connect one of the incoming lines to T1, connect T2, T3 and T8 together, and connect the other incoming line to both T4 and T5.

This will give counter-clockwise rotation when looking at the back of the motor (with the shaft pointing away from you). If you want clockwise rotation, swap T5 and T8.

T1 and T2 are a 115 volt run winding, T3 and T4 are another 115 volt run winding, and T5 and T8 are a 115 volt start winding. If the motor is connected for 230 volts, the start winding is piggybacked onto one of the run windings. The two run windings are connected in series and since a motor is very similar to a transformer, each winding will have 115 volts on it, even with the start winding on only one of them.

If the motor has 6 leads, it's not thermally protected. Protection needs to be in the incoming lines.

Rob

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.