DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dawn to Dusk Porch Light problem

15K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  PaliBob 
#1 ·
I'm sure the porch light fixture is pretty old. It was my mother's house before i moved here a year and a half ago. The dusk to dawn control worked fine until a few days ago. Now, at night the light seems to come on for a few minutes, then it goes off for a few minutes, then it comes back on for a few minutes. It actually reminds me of a motion sensor light because it sometimes seems to come on when i walk near it. But this could be a coincidence. I don't imagine that it could suddenly become a motion sensor light.

I'm wondering if there's a manual override on it, i dont' see anything, at least not on the outside of the fixture. I see the photo cell. I tried changing the bulb. it had a mercury bulb in it. I put a different mercury bulb in but the same problem continues. I put a regular incandescent bulb in but it has the same problem. When the light switches on and off, it makes a soft click. I don't feel safe with the porch so dark.

Today i went out to try to buy a new one of these fixtures. Home Depot had none at all, except for security lights, no regular porch lights. OSH had one i liked but another customer came and took it while i was trying to decide and it was the only one. I saw one that would work at Lamps Plus but it was much more expensive.

I have a call in to an electrician. I'm not a do it yourself-er, not to install something electrical like that, but if anyone knows if there's something simple i can try, i would appreciate it. I would like to somehow make it stay on tonight. I really don't like the darkness there.

I asked at OSH for one of those controllers that you screw into your existing socket and and screw the light bulb in to the controller but they gave me an automatic shut off controller. I didn't realize it til i got home.

See less See more
#2 ·
Put some electrical tape or dark tape over the photocell to simulate its dark all the time. An incandescent bulb wont work in a HID fixture anyways and vice versa. Make sure you have the correct lamp for your fixture, although it sounds like a capacitor or something else in the fixture is the problem, causing the lamp to cycle. Easier to replace than repair.

#5 ·
Uclduey, thank you for that suggestion, the tape worked as a manual override and i was able to have the porch lighted all night. I will still need to have the old light replaced, but not as urgently. What a relief and sense of empowerment. big thanks

#6 ·
Here is a CARLON Dusk to Dawn Light Socket PhotoCell for an incandescent bulb up to 150W and can be used indoors or outside if its in an enclosed location (not made to be be used where it can get wet)

http://www.amazon.com/DUSK-DAWN-LIGHT-SOCKET-CTRL/dp/B000HOSZNS

also available at OSH or similar stores

Thanks--i wanted to ask a couple of questions about this. First, i did mean to get one at OSH. The OSH guy showed me where they were and there were two or three different kinds hanging on the rack. One was a kind that i had seen on the web earlier in the day, with very bad reviews on one site, don't remember what site it was but basically, two reviews both said the thing didn't work very long. It has a timer switch on it and another switch. One review said they used another kind that worked well. Then they replaced it with this one with the switches and said Do Not Get This One wiht the Switch. So i picked up another next to it at OSH that had no switch and asked the guy if this was the right thing and he said yes. When i got home, i found it was just an automatic delayed light shut off thing.

I'm going back today to exchange it for that CARLON one you suggested, if they have it. If all they have is the one with the switches, i'm not going to get it. It's on Amazon as well and has fairly poor reviews there.

http://www.amazon.com/Westek-SLC6CBC-Programmable-Screw-Control/dp/B000Z981D4/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000HOSZNS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B0K8T85E6X183Q63EX4

My question is, would a socket photo cell be likely to work in my fixture even though something is wrong with the function of the one on the fixture? I'm having a hard time putting this question into words. If the photo cell on the installed fixture is malfunctioning, would the socket photo cell take over? Or would it be interfered with?

One more question--i see you're from Pali. Before i moved to this house in the Valley, i lived in Santa Monica for about 25 years. So, i am from the same area. If OSH only has that bad kind of socket photo cell, can you suggest anywhere else local, westside or Valley or wherever, where i could get the CARLON kind?

Home Depot didn't have any at all. They just had a photo cell that you can install into your fixture by drilling a hole. That's out of my league, i can't do that. It's just a little thing with a wire. Disappointed in Home Depot, big store like that, home improvement, and don't even have a single dusk to dawn porch light (though they do have them on their website, quite a few) and no photo cell socket. Hard for me to understand, such a big store.

I imagine Lowe's might be better. Closest one is Burbank.

You said the socket will work with an incandescent bulb. Will it work with a mercury bulb?

thanks for the info/recommendation of the socket photo cell brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.