Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

damaged wire sheathing

while pulling some house wiring through joist holes, the sheathing got damaged. Its was old (38 yr old wire) crusty, the braided type, NM rating. The plastic wire insulation itself seems unharmed. Mostly 14g wire with a little 12g and a big 8g stove wire too. An inspector will be looking at this too so it has to be code. Can I make up for the damage by wrapping electrical tape around the affected areas? I'd rather not replace that stove wire especially.
rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #2

damaged wire sheathing

While tape may serve this purpose I doubt the inspector will pass it. If it is damaged you must replace it. I bet there is no ground wire in that 38 year old cable right? Just another reason to replace. Its a good practice and helps you sleep better at night.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

damaged wire sheathing

there are ground wires in all wires. the main sheathing damage is in the last foot of the 8g stove wire. only "cardboardy" strands are left from the braided NM sheathing that got rubbed off. the actual wires seem undamaged, but I agree that the inspector might not go for it as you say.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

damaged wire sheathing

Damaged sheathing can be repaired with good quality electrical tape.
"Rubbed off" sheathing cannot be replaced with tape.

Use your own good judgment.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #5

damaged wire sheathing

wires are good but the last foot of sheath is shot. so I spose this whole cable should be replaced - that kinda sucks
Attached Thumbnails
damaged wire sheathing-bad-sheath.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

damaged wire sheathing

I won't argue replacement, however, if you are talking about repairing the sheath that can be seen in the photo then a good quality 3/4" shrink tube will be acceptable.

BTW you are mistaken..... not all cables have ground wires. Many Nm cables that were installed in the 50's and 60's were 2 wire....hot and grounded leg (neutral) only, no grounding wire was used both wires were current carriers. The absence of a ground wire is evident when you see 2 prong receptacles installed unless conduit was used for the grounding means. Many older stove cables were 3 wire.. hot, hot and neutral... no ground. Those cables are no longer allowed for new installations. A four wire cable like you have must be used with at least a #10 awg copper ground wire. The neutral must be a insulated wire..... not bare as the old days when using SE type cables to serve ranges.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-27-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #7

damaged wire sheathing

thanks for the shrink wrap idea, that might allow me to keep this stove cable.
When i said "all wires have grounds," I meant the wires at this house. I own a rental house with that 2 prong, no ground wire - scary stuff. I'm guessing that was standard until the mid sixties. This stove cable is 8g and the ground seems thinner than 10g but thats hard to tell just looking at it. hope the inspector will allow the shrink wrap fix
Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

damaged wire sheathing

Well...... thats what I get for reading to much into that statement of yours.....

Get a PVC or FEP shrink tube dual walled.....meaning it has an adhesive inner lining. The adhesive isn't actually required for your situation but it makes for a nice seal and no taping will be needed to hold it in place.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #9

damaged wire sheathing

That picture seems to tell a different story. Is that a cord or is it a cable? It sure looks like cord to me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #10

damaged wire sheathing

Tape it neatly and it will be fine.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
Electrician philosopher

damaged wire sheathing

That is romex for sure. I like all the paper braids it has in it.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

damaged wire sheathing

Yeah, it is just a very common romex appliance cable. It's what the manufacturers called pitch tar-impregnated cloth sheathed. This is circa 1965 give or take 5 years. You see tons of it in homes of the 1960's and early 70's.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.