Damage From Tree On Power Lines - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Damage from tree on power lines

A couple days ago a tree fell on the power lines near our house and it damaged the thing that connects the power lines to the house (see the attached pictures). The utility company won't fix this. Instead, they will come out and disconnect the power line from the house, then we need to fix it, get the work blessed by an electrician, and the utility guys will then come back and reconnect the wires. I'd like to do the repair myself. It doesn't look too difficult, but I'm wondering if there is anybody with experience at this sort of thing who has any advice. In particular, I want to have all of the parts I'll need ahead of time, in order to minimize the time that we are off the grid (we do have a generator, so a day without power is OK). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Damage from tree on power lines-p1.jpg   Damage from tree on power lines-p2.jpg  

Advertisement

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

Looks like you should call a pro. From the pics it looks like you will need a flashing, 1.5 or 1" pipe , insulator burndys, cambrage tape rubber tape and probably a new cable. Not exactly a fast repair for a first timer.

Advertisement

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here we are not allowed to work on the Service Feed
POCO will not reconnect unless an electrician does the work & Inspected by Building Dept

So check into that 1st
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Here we are not allowed to work on the Service Feed
POCO will not reconnect unless an electrician does the work & Inspected by Building Dept

So check into that 1st
That's not the case here. No inspection is required and all the utility company requires for the reconnect is that the homeowner tells them that an electrician OKed it.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
Looks like you should call a pro. From the pics it looks like you will need a flashing, 1.5 or 1" pipe , insulator burndys, cambrage tape rubber tape and probably a new cable. Not exactly a fast repair for a first timer.
Thanks for the info, but it really doesn't have to be too fast---the generator is a good one... Is there any site that might give details on how this should be done? Even if I do end up hiring somebody, I'd like to know the correct procedure.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
That's not the case here. No inspection is required and all the utility company requires for the reconnect is that the homeowner tells them that an electrician OKed it.
So you are going to lie to the POCO ?
Or do you have an electrician lined up to Inspect & OK the work ?
Many electrician may just charge you as much to Inspect & Ok the work as they would doing the work
Since their name & liability are now tied to your work
Best to have everything checked out & an electrican lined up 1st
Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Jeremy,
Please don't take offense, but this is a job you should call an electrician for. This is the kind of thing if not done right burns peoples houses down. For and experienced electrician, this is not rocket science. But they know what they are doing. Looks like they'll have to dissamble the meter base, pull the wires out, install a new mast, pull the wires back through, flash everything on top so it doesn't leak, etc. This is the kind of job that really isn't any fun for a diy'er. Probably not any fun for the electrician either.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
MXer

Rewards Points: 75

This is a fairly easy fix for an electrician. It wont cost as much as you might think. I also say have a certified electrician fix that.

Last edited by 3 legged dog; 12-25-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: cant spell
3 legged dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

This is NOT something you should even be considering unless you are pretty well versed in electrical work. Just because you think the physical work part of the job is easy does not mean it is an easy job for someone with no clue what they are doing. The fact that you are asking for a web site with details on how to do this tells us that is the case.
Also, you are considering doing this work and then expecting an electrician to sign off on it???

Do the right thing and get a few quotes from electricians on fixing this. They will handle every aspect of it and you will be without power for maybe 2-3 hours tops.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Jeremy,
Please don't take offense, but this is a job you should call an electrician for. This is the kind of thing if not done right burns peoples houses down. For and experienced electrician, this is not rocket science. But they know what they are doing. Looks like they'll have to dissamble the meter base, pull the wires out, install a new mast, pull the wires back through, flash everything on top so it doesn't leak, etc. This is the kind of job that really isn't any fun for a diy'er. Probably not any fun for the electrician either.
Mike Hawkins
No offense taken. However, I do have some electrical experience, having installed a generator and automatic transfer switch, and I did all of that myself. Of course, that took a while to complete, and obviously time is of the essence here. Because of that, I will go with a certified electrician, assuming I can find one that'll do this kind of work in this area (unfortunately, most of the "electricians" who work around here are, at least in my experience, far less knowledgeable than a reasonably educated DIYer, but that's another story...). In any case, I'd still like to know how this is supposed to be done, partly just out of curiosity, but also so I can discuss it with an electrician ahead of time to be sure that he's going to do it correctly.

So, after all of that, I'm still wondering whether anybody can provide some detailed info on how this should be done and/or point me to some online resource(s)? Thanks again.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #11

So you still have power now...that's good hopefully the wires aren't crimped
Need to measure the steel pole
Get all the rain head (sorry don't know real part names) parts
Might need new wire if its damaged
The flashing plus cold weather roof tar to seal
Mines underground....big Oak out front that was dropping branches

Was there a wire holding that in place on the backside ?

Take it all apart, put the new pipe in, new parts in, put it all back together
What detail are you looking for ?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Knowing your general location would be a help. Not all areas are the same.

I feel sorry for you if you can't get a real electrician who knows how to do a basic mast service.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #13

Heck I'm 20 miles out of Boston & it took me over 6 weeks to get someone out to put my new feed in
Old 12-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Heck I'm 20 miles out of Boston & it took me over 6 weeks to get someone out to put my new feed in
Which way from Boston? I lived in Worcester, Mass for one year in the early 90s.

I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains, only a few miles outside of a smallish city (Los Gatos, CA), which is itself a suburb of San Jose. Being up here in the mountains is a whole different world, no matter the short distance to a major metropolitan area. Most contractors, regardless of speciality, won't come up here. Partly that's because the roads are bad (narrow private roads with no grade---they just follow the contour of the hills) and partly because everything is "non-standard" (the county makes it virtually impossible to get permits to do anything so, predictably, almost everything is done without permits, often very badly).

As a result, we end up with people who just work in the mountains and are used to doing things without permits, by the seat of their pants, etc. Some of them seem to be quite good at what they do, but I've had very bad luck with electricians. For example, one electrician wanted to do a really strange homebrew transfer switch for my generator and that thing never would have passed inspection. And another electrician told me the wrong way to wire a multi-wire branch circuit (shared neutral), but insisted it was the correct way, even when I questioned him about it (I had assumed that he'd just made a slip of the tongue, but that was not the case). Anyways, that was more than enough to motivate me to do enough research so that I could feel fairly confident doing my own electrical work.

The bottom line is that I'm not opposed to paying someone to do these kinds of things, but I want to know as much as I can beforehand so that I can be sure that the person I hire knows what he's doing.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

I look at the photo and Really IMO I think it best to have electrician to deal with this due they work on this type of mast riser.

I done this before and it will take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours depending on type of mast and support itself on the mast.

Expect the poweroutage about half day { most case } and have shedule the Inspector to come out and take a quick peek to get it engerized again.

Costwise that will varies a bit depending on how much repair it have to be done plus new flashing as well.

Merci,Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote