Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |

Dam squirrels

Hi, a squirrel crawled into a bathrroom exhaust vent and into the joist a joist space between my 1st and second floor. It ended up chewing on two lines of Romex running accross the space (perpendicular to the joists). It did expose the copper. I have a temp fix of using a "liquid electic tape". What are my choices for a permanent fix. I could follow each of the two run to both end to the junction boxes but that would require a bit of destruction. I couid cut out the damaged portion and used two junction boxes for each end of the cut but I would then need a access hole to them in the ceiling. This would not be very good looking. My understanding is that I can not bury the splice with junction box behind the dry wall ceiling. Thanks

shlanskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Electrician

Dam squirrels

Any chance the squirels hit the live and neutral at the same time, now that would make a really good story.

darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

Dam squirrels

Part of your corrective action should necessarily involve a trip to the woods to do some squirrel hunting.

You're right, you cannot bury a splice. Also, there is no code compliant repair option for this chewed cable. Tracing the cable back to each end or installing two junction boxes are the only compliant repair options. The third option is to abandon these cables (by disconnecting them at both ends), and refeed whatever they went to by an alternate path with new cable.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Contractor

Dam squirrels

Obviously, you have been up to the site and made some repairs. How did you get there? Through the ceiling?

My understanding is that you cannot install a j-box where it would be inacessible (burried). The fact that you have access to the attic would allow you to install a pair of j-boxes to replace the damaged section.

I just went through a similar situation but wait for mds reply, I'm no house sparky.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote