DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

cutting plaster and lathe that eats blades

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike in Arkansas 
#1 ·
My old house has plaster walls with what appear to be small size rock in the base coat. As well as the wood lathe there is also a metal screen lathe in at least some places in addition to the wood. Not sure why that would be. In any event this plaster eats saw blades for breakfast. Tried my sawzall but it causes quite a bit of damage. My Fein multimaster does not create damage to the surrounding plaster but the teeth are gone before I get two sides of one hole cut. :eek: My next attempt if no one can recommend a better approach is going to be a jig saw with some kind of carbide blade. What about some kind of roto zip? Would that work with some kind of carbide or diamond bit to cut the plaster/wood/metal? Don't have one but would purchase if it will make things easier. Thanks

#3 ·
Just to add. I prefer a Rotozip with a small carbide bit. I hold a vac hose right with the tool to catch most of the dust. Works great for me, but it does take a steady hand.

#4 ·
I also have rock lathe in my house. The corners are reinforced with a metal mesh. I have tried many different methods but the best one has been to just buy a bunch of cheap keyhole saws and throw them out when they are worn out. After a few box cutouts they are junk but there is not too much of a mess like with a sawzall or rotozip. Also score the plaster with a utility knife before cutting into it with the blade to keep the plaster from chipping.

#6 ·
Mike,
If you decide to use your sawzall, lenox makes a blade called the plaster master. It has bigger teeth and doesn't wear out as fast. They also make a blade for rescue personnel that works well also. I wouldn't use it in the metal mesh areas. Those areas I use my half worn metal blades with the smaller teeth. Good way to get rid of them.
Mike Hawkins:)

#8 ·
The rescue blade is a good idea, I think that they are bi-metal which will last longer with what you are cutting through. Another idea, although one that might cause a bit more dust, is an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. I have used them many times in situations similar to yours. The nice thing about a grinder is that you don't get the vibration that you get with a sazall, which will result in a cleaner cut. Although they are designed for metal they will happily eat through plaster and concrete. If you want to keep the dust down you can wet with a spray bottle as you cut, or have a freind with a shop-vac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.