Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #1

Share |

cutting off grd pin on TV plug?

For reasons that I don't understand our new Comcast TV convertor boxes have an ordinary power plug with three prongs, but the "switched" outlet has only two. So, a TV set plugged into the convertor can have only the two prong variety, but our TV sets have three prongs, with the ground.

It makes no sense to cut off the grd prong, but it's impossible to connect the TV to the convertor without cutting it off. The access is too tight to allow a 3 to 2 adaptor. We prefer to have the one remote turn on both TV and cable at the same time, ergo, using the switched outlet.

thanks
bob

robertpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #2

Use an extension cord (plug the 3 to 2 prong adapter into the far end of the extension cord.

Make sure that the cable box can handle the wattage required by the TV. This rating should be printed next to the convenience receptacle on the back of the cable box.

AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
ICF Construction

I've got a comcast box as well, the outlet on mine is not for turning the TV on or off, simply an extra outlet since the cable box is using one up in the wall. My remote turns the TV and cable box on independently. Try plugging the TV into a regular outlet and see if it works.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #4

Chris, I think you have it right. In previous models, one could piggy back the TV to the convertor, but this one is different. I had to use both remotes to get them working, but now realize the remote is probably not programmed right.
robertpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

If the set is a high end HDTV, cutting off the Ground, will actually cause problems. You should have everything plugged into a Surge Protector, or even purchase something like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186003259724 to protect your electronics. Even better, invest in a UPS system to protect. Never just connect to a unprotected outlet, or cut off the Ground pins.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Homeowner w/ aspirations.

While a decent surge protector might be a good idea (and don't cut off the ground pin, it's there for a reason), you absolutely do not need a $700 power conditioner. Unless you're getting extreme line interference (and you'd know it if you were), power conditioning is not going to give you a better picture, clearer sound, wash your car, make dinner, or any of the other fantastic claims some people might try to sell you. It's a bunch snake oil meant to squeeze more money out of the high-end A/V crowd, much like the gold plated outlets that folks like to poke fun at, around here.
MattOverMinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
Chris, I think you have it right. In previous models, one could piggy back the TV to the convertor, but this one is different. I had to use both remotes to get them working, but now realize the remote is probably not programmed right.
The converter box's setup menu allows you to specify/change how the piggyback outlet behaves, i.e always "on" or converter-dependent as to "on" or "off".

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote